Before I try to upload 19TB....

Blindsay

Question

Hey all,

right now i have 2x local drive pools of 21TB each (1 Primary and then 1 backup). Since i am almost out of space i was looking for other options other than more drives. I was thinking of taking advantage of Amazon's $60/yr unlimited storage deal and then backing up all my data there which would allow me to use my current backup drives to expand my primary pool.

I have heard amazon is notorious for disabling of accounts of people if they find any content they dont consider to be on the "up and up" but from what i read this will encrypt the data so they cant easily spot what it is.

Right now i use software called Allwaysync to keep the two pools exactly the same so my hope would be with cloud drive i could do the same.

Thoughts?

edit: oh, any easy way to limit the upload speed? I don't want to 100% max my connection for 2 weeks lol

4 answers to this question

For the first part, I'm not really seeing a question here. 

Though, even unencrypted, the data stored on Amazon Cloud Drive is obfuscated, heavily.   So they shouldn't be able to read the content.  Encrypted, they wouldn't be able to access it AT ALL. 

As for limiting upload speed, absolutely.

Drive Options -> Performance -> I/O Performance -> Advanced

You can set the upload and download throttling here.

But keep in mind, the Amazon Cloud Drive Provider is throttled anyways. 

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/1588-amazon-cloud-drive-why-is-it-not-supported/

Thanks for the reply I found how to turn the drive on and encrypted it. I don't mind the slow upload but I was concerned about the "I may lose my data because it's an experimental provider" is the throttling the only open issue with Amazon or are there other issues I may run into?

Thanks for the reply I found how to turn the drive on and encrypted it. I don't mind the slow upload but I was concerned about the "I may lose my data because it's an experimental provider" is the throttling the only open issue with Amazon or are there other issues I may run into?

Its ACD support that holds me back from using CloudDrive...

Mostly, it's the throttling because we're stuck as a "Development account", and not approved for production use.

Aside from that, it's fairly reliable.  

The warning is just that, a warning. It's entirely possible that data loss could occur (though we do go out of our way to avoid that).