Google drive majorly slow in 777 - Regardless of settings/api pool.

chcguy88

Question

I have noticed that my cloud drive hosted with google has been really slow compared to when I switched from a previous version to the latest beta. I am talking going from 90mbps with spikes to 150mbps (my connection speed). Now I am unable to upload past 10-20mbps or read at past 10-20mbps. I used to stream family videos from my cloud drive in 1080p with minimal buffer. Now I can only get it to play for 1-3 seconds without buffering/ messing up. 

I don't know what has been happening on the back end of the program, but something has changed for the worse. I noticed that others are reporting the same things and it is blamed on the hardware that they are running. I did an experiment using a samsung ssd drive, a core i7 6 core machine with 32gigs of ram + the asus 3100 router hardlined into my fiberline. I could not reach above 10-20mbps again. This means that something software wise is off or google changed something. Either way, I highly doubt its my connection, or my hardware knowing the above info. I am able to upload at my full connection speed to my google drive outside of cloud drive. 

I hope that you guys take a serious look at 777 and see what is happening, because it is unusable. I wish I would have not upgraded from my previous version. 

as a side note - I did change from several api pools that you had setup - it still had no effect. 

9 answers to this question

Follow up 2 - I did a test and changed the chunk size when initially creating the drive from 10 mb to the max 20 mb. This has drastically increased my speed to the max of my connection. I think what is happening is that google takes some time to build up the speed (Maybe load balancing on their side of things). So the bigger the file to download, the more time it has to get up to max speed per thread. This uses more bandwidth but it seems much faster. 

Now to migrate my old drive to the new one.....

Wow, massive increase in upload rate after creating a new disk with 20mb chunks. Will now start the long task of converting my other drives and transferring the TB's. Thanks for the post!

No problem! I figured I would share since it had such an improvement in speed! I am happy it worked for you!!  :)

No problem! I figured I would share since it had such an improvement in speed! I am happy it worked for you!!  :)

I did this to. The speed was really good and response time from google was 0,5 sec. Now 30 minutes later it takes a really long time to create a single thread and when the thread is created i have a respone time of  5-6 seconds on average and the upload halts. It seems that the longer you use the drive, the longer the response time and the time to create a thread takes.   :(

Do you guys have the same problem?

Edit: The threads seems to get created and i got a good speed. The Responst time is up to ~ 10 seconds for me now.

I did this to. The speed was really good and response time from google was 0,5 sec. Now 30 minutes later it takes a really long time to create a single thread and when the thread is created i have a respone time of  5-6 seconds on average and the upload halts. It seems that the longer you use the drive, the longer the response time and the time to create a thread takes.   :(

Do you guys have the same problem?

Edit: The threads seems to get created and i got a good speed. The Responst time is up to ~ 10 seconds for me now.

I have noticed this. I really need to figure out a way to track this over time to get to the root of that problem. It doesn't seem too consistent, but when it happens, it does suck horribly. 

I have noticed this. I really need to figure out a way to track this over time to get to the root of that problem. It doesn't seem too consistent, but when it happens, it does suck horribly. 

The drive dismounted overnight so  i needed to start to upload all over again this morning. 

I have uploaded about 200GB now of 300 and i have a response time of 30-35 seconds. The upload halts from time to time. But,  i got all my 15 threds allocated  ;)

Edit: Think the drive crashed or something.  The funny thing it happend at 63% completion of the transfer. The same % as last night.

This error messages appears in the  Service Log. 

6:19:51.3: Warning: 0 : [CloudDrive] Error updating statistics. The system cannot find the file specified
6:19:51.7: Warning: 0 : [CloudDrive] Error informing driver of write request completion. The system cannot find the file specified
6:19:52.2: Warning: 0 : [TemporaryWritesImplementation:88] Error initiating temporary write (Chunk=7230, Offset=0x00000000, Length=0x01400500). The system cannot find the file specified
6:19:52.4: Warning: 0 : [WholeChunkIoImplementation:88] Error on write when performing master partial write. The system cannot find the file specified
6:19:52.4: Warning: 0 : [CloudDrive] Error updating statistics. The system cannot find the file specified
6:19:52.7: Warning: 0 : [WholeChunkIoImplementation:88] Error when performing master partial write. The system cannot find the file specified
6:19:52.7: Warning: 0 : [WholeChunkIoImplementation:36] Error on write when performing shared partial write. The system cannot find the file specified
6:19:52.8: Warning: 0 : [ioManager:88] Error performing I/O operation on provider. Retrying. The system cannot find the file specified
6:19:52.8: Warning: 0 : [ioManager:36] Error performing I/O operation on provider. Retrying. The system cannot find the file specified
6:19:53.4: Warning: 0 : [CloudDrive] Error updating statistics. The system cannot find the file specified

Check to see if the underlying cache disk is still present. 

if it is, try running a CHKDSK pass on it (chkdsk x: /f) and see if that helps.

And check the NTFS security permissions for the cache folder and files, to make sure the "SYSTEM" account has full control over the files.  If not, please update the permissions.