the operation cannot be completed because the disk is full

DreamStatic

Question

Hello, I have been using Drive Pool for a bit now and love it. However, I started running into this issue recently when copying mkv files across the network to the Drive Pool machine. It will copy all the way to the end then give this message: "the operation cannot be completed because the disk is full". The pool is not full it has 9.2 TB available below are some screenshots to show this. Any idea what might be causing this issue? Thanks for any guidance you can provide. 

post-2779-0-03944500-1481155412_thumb.pngpost-2779-0-94270200-1481155412_thumb.png

10 answers to this question

Hi

you can get this message if say your SSD cache is not big enough to take your movie files or does not have enough free space to hold the files to complete the copy.

equally if you do not have a cache and the "landing" archive disk is almost full then the same would apply

i have had this once or twice when filling up my pool first time - but if you leave it a couple of hours (yes its slow) then i was able to copy the files over once my ssd cache cleared out

Thanks for the info. This has occurred over the course of a week+ so I don't think it is the cache. And I don't have any SSD currently in the pool. I have always copied over directly into the Pool without issues until this one popped up. Wonder if, like you said, the drive it is set to land on is almost full and Drive Pool is trying to squeeze it on that drive instead of using another spot that is available? And if that is the case, is there something I can change in the settings that will fix the issue?

I tried changing the order and it didn't work. I then tried to copy the same file to a different folder (Media) in the Pool and it worked without issue. So I went and checked the rule section of Drive Pool and the Bluray folder and subfolders that is not working is able to write to all drives as I have not set up any rules so all drives were checked. I was able to move the copy to the file into the problem Bluray subfolder without issue. This is strange.

H:
-Media
---Bluray
----A - cannot copy to any of these folders
----B
----etc

H:
-Media - I can copy to this Media folder and then move the file to the alphabetical Bluray folders without issue.
--Bluray
--TV
--Personal
--etc

Just for info - i filled up my cache yesterday copying more data than the cache could hold - i got disk is full error on one file that was large - video file  - because the space left was smaller than that file needed to copy across - but the copy continued and other large files did copy across but went to archive drives - the remaining space on the cache continued to fill up with other smaller files and went beyond the 95% limit i had set.

An observation as you have duplication on and have only a few drives with ample space - maybe the error is because dp is having trouble finding enough space for two copies etc and /or its not responding quick enough for the copy process as it has 30 drives to run though looking for space and you get the error?

Just for info - i filled up my cache yesterday copying more data than the cache could hold - i got disk is full error on one file that was large - video file  - because the space left was smaller than that file needed to copy across - but the copy continued and other large files did copy across but went to archive drives - the remaining space on the cache continued to fill up with other smaller files and went beyond the 95% limit i had set.

An observation as you have duplication on and have only a few drives with ample space - maybe the error is because dp is having trouble finding enough space for two copies etc and /or its not responding quick enough for the copy process as it has 30 drives to run though looking for space and you get the error?

That should be expected behavior. Once it's past the "real time placement limiters" for the SSD Optimizer, it should move onto the archive drives. 

The Ordered File Placement balancer is handled slightly different, because there is no feeder/cache drive. 

Here you go. I also included a shot of the Bluray "P" folder selected in the balancing rules section. 

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-12-12 at 11.43.50 AM.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-12-12 at 11.44.56 AM.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-12-12 at 11.46.55 AM.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-12-12 at 11.49.42 AM.png

Thank you.  From the looks of it, you should have plenty of space. 

Disk 30 and 31 are the ones that the pool should be writing to, based on the realtime placement limiters.   

And I'm guessing that these are larger drives. And they obviously have plenty of space. 

Could you make sure you're on the latest versions? 

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/StableBit.DrivePool_2.2.0.735_x64_BETA.exe

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolBalancingPlugins/DiskSpaceEqualizer/DrivePool.DiskSpaceEqualizerPlugin.Setup_1.0.2.4_x64.msi

And if that doesn't help, could you enable file system logging and reproduce?

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

And run this: http://dl.covecube.com/Troubleshooter/StableBit.Troubleshooter.exe