Feature request. Throttle copy speed to cache/better VMware support.

chcguy88

Question

I have been running into an issue using cloud drive and Google Drive. (I'm sure this apples to all services though).

Scenario - I have 300 gb of data on my home network share that I am backing up. My local network is able to send the files via copy and paste at a total of 50 megabytes per second.

My Internet is able to upload at 150mbps. (around 18 megabytes per second)

The laptop machine that has cloud drive installed only has 30gb free of local storage (ssd drive that is small). So as a result the "to upload" part of cloud drive fills up fast until I run out of space and it throttles until it can upload the files to Google Drive and frees up more space to copy more to my hard drive.

I have been using a 3rd party copy manager to copy and paste because of this issue (it has a pause button). As a result I have to babysit my transfer until it finishes and pause it until the "upload" has transfered enough to drive to clear space. This is by no means a hands off process.

Solution-

Can you implement a way to Throttle the speed of the copy and paste. So for example I know my Internet can upload 18 megabytes per second, and I set that the max speed my copy and paste function can copy at is less that 18 megabytes. This also would give cloud drive an estimate time for completion because windows would estimate the time on the copy and paste window. It would be the equivalent of using a slower harddrive.

The second issue I have hit is that I use VMware to run a copy of Windows. The vm is VPN protected because my isp frowns on torrents regardless of legality. I do a lot of work with windows and I am trying to archive all versions of Windows isos so that I have them for my clients when needed. Needless to say if I run cloud drive in the vm, it is slow slow slow, because my VPN is not as fast as my connection. I tried linking a shared folder (the cloud drive "harddrive") into VMware so it shows up as a folder in the vm. When I try running the torrent via utorrent 2.2.1, it comes up with an access denied/unauthorized error for the shared folder. I'm not sure what is going on with this.

The goal is to download in the vm machine with a VPN, and it saves to the shared folder that is outside of the vm. That shared folder is the cloud drive which would upload the files straight to the cloud drive outside of the VPN/vm.

How can I fix this problem? Just an FYI, if I use this without any vm and set the cloud drive as my download location from utorrent, this works fine. But once again I am limited by my VPN speeds to upload to cloud drive.

Thanks!

4 answers to this question

Well, when the cache drive gets filled, it should throttle the write speed to the drive, to very, very low speed.  

However, limiting the write speed in general may be do-able. 

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/27261

For the second issue, you may be better off using a proxy, and configuring your torrent client to use that proxy.  This way you can obfuscate the torrent traffic without effecting the rest of the system.

Otherwise, for VPNs, there really isn't a solution, I believe. Mostly due to how the VPN and network stack works in Windows. Aside from using a secondary VM for torrenting. 

As for Microsoft ISO's, you can get a lot of them from Technet's Eval center. 

I am able to use a proxy but that really isn't the main issue. I like to keep my stuff in VM since security wise - it is isolated from my main system. Especially when I am trying to protect my main files. Even standard copying doesn't seem to work from the vm to outside of the vm. Maybe in the future this can be looked at. I'm not really sure what is going wrong. 

As a secondary request to this, would it be possible to limit the writing to such an extent that you don't continuously re-upload the same chunk? I guess instead of just limiting you'd have X amount of data needed before being "written".

Does any of this makes sense? I'm just trying to establish whether or not I'm right with this pattern I'm seeing after doing huge copy operations but with limited U/L. 

As a secondary request to this, would it be possible to limit the writing to such an extent that you don't continuously re-upload the same chunk? I guess instead of just limiting you'd have X amount of data needed before being "written".

Does any of this makes sense? I'm just trying to establish whether or not I'm right with this pattern I'm seeing after doing huge copy operations but with limited U/L. 

Actually, I believe that the software already does this.

But what you may be seeing is the different parts of a file being uploaded.  Check the technical details window when this happens, for both the chunk ID and for the offset when this happens.