Burst test with sil3132 add-in card

klode

Question

Hi all, having time to do some reading, I noticed Alex did some interesting compatibility testing with add-in cards. The one I am interested in is the sil3132. I got this card with a Roswill RSV-S4-X box. I installed the card in my Acer H-341 and connected the RSV-S4-X via e-sata. Looking to the burst test from Alex up to 109 MB/s, I can say I'm very far from that. After doing a burst test with Scanner, I'm at 10 to 15 MB/s at the most. Should I worry about that poor performance? Is there anything I can do to correct the situation? If I remember correctly, I have the latest bios but not sure if I installed the right drivers. Should I go with the sataraid driver or just the regular ones. It gets somehow confusing on using the right drivers. I would greatly appreciate if someone can point me in the right direction.

On the other hand, I performed the burst test on my H-341 and the results were between 50 to 80MB/s, which seems to be the average.

Thanks,

Claude

5 answers to this question

Try the SATARAID5 drivers. You may get better performance out of the card. If they don't work, try the other.

Also, check the BIOS version for the card. The most up to date one is from 9/9/2009, and version 7.7.03. 
And I'd recommend the RAID version of the BIOS. It may also work better.

And to be blunt, Silicon Image chipsets tend to be very flaky.  I'd recommend selling that one and getting something else. Like this:

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/46-siig-sc-sa0m11-s1-pci-express-20-low-profile-ready-sata-iii-60gbs-2-port-controller-card/

Hi, thanks for your answer. I know I have the most recent bios 7.7.03, but I think it's not the raid one. I will give it a try and see if any improvements. If not then I may look into your suggestion and buy a new SIIG card. I will post back the results with the SATARAID5 drivers.

Thanks,

Claude

Hi again Drashna, I was wrong... I have an older bios 7.4.05 and driver 1.5.19.0, so my guess is I need to update the bios and drivers. I picked the sataraid5 package as per your suggestion. Will do the update and let you know how it went.

Thanks for your help,

Claude

Hi, I have updated the drivers and bios. It made a significant change. When I run the burst test, I have 50 to 75 MB/s and peaks to 109 MB/s like Alex shows in its test. So I guess everything is under control. I may also see differences when streaming from the server. In the past, I've had some stuttering when streaming recorded tv or videos.

Thanks again for your precious help,

Claude