Moving CloudDrive to a new pc

Weirdomusic

Question

Hi guys, I know that migrating an existing DrivePool to a new pc is pretty simple (DrivePool "sees" that there are discs that were already part of a pool and simply re-creates that existing pool), but how does this work for CloudDrive? Is it enough to install CloudDrive, activate the license and then (re)connect to the cloud provider(s) I need? Will it then recognize that there are existing CloudDrives?

Somehow I keep thinking this will create a new drive instead of linking me to the already existing one, so I hope you can put my mind at ease now that I'm dumping a large amount of data in my current drive from my old pc :-)

7 answers to this question

Detach the drives, deactivate the license, install on new system, activate the license or trial and attach the drives. 

That's it. 

And yes, when you go to add a drive, it will list existing drives, and even acknowledge the drive's state (eg, if attached on other systems). 

I have a similar but slightly different scenario I will be tackling soon - and I would like to know what steps are the best approach.

I currently have a cloud drive setup with a 500gb OS ssd drive, 500gb sata drive (cache drive for cloud drive) and a 4tb NAS drive; i am pushing files on-going from the 4tb nas drive to the cloud drive.

In my new machine i will have a 500GB sata drive for the OS and cache and will have 2 4TB drives in a drivepool.

So my question is are the steps applicable and then the steps to convert a drivepool, or is the best approach to put the new 4tb nas drive in my old machine and setup drivepool before moving to the NAS?

Thanks,

Kirk

So my question is are the steps applicable and then the steps to convert a drivepool, or is the best approach to put the new 4tb nas drive in my old machine and setup drivepool before moving to the NAS?

To clarify, you are asking "Should I add the 2nd drive to my current machine and create a pool, then move the pool and cloud drive over to my new machine?  Or should I move the cloud drive to my new machine, and wait until that is done to add the drive and create the pool on the new machine?"  

And what about another scenario: the machine running clouddrive doesn't work and can't be fixed: how can I get my data back on another machine???

If the drive that the cache was on is still intact, then move that disk to the new system, and as above (install software, activate). It should see the cache drive and "reconnect" the drive.  You will need to log in and authorize the account though.  But once it's up, it should continue as if nothing happened.

Otherwise, you would just attach the drive, and get a prompt because the drive was still attached to another system and not detached. 

In this case, there is a chance of data corruption, depending if there was any "to upload" data in the cache or not.  If not, then you're fine. If there was, then .... this is like re-attaching a drive that was powered off when writing. There may be corruption.