Server 2016 Compatibility

BinaryData

Question

Hey Guys,

I'm trying to figure out if anyone here has tested DrivePool with Server 2016 or if StableBit has been tested on Server 2016. If they need test data, I can provide it, and remote access to retrieve information.

Edit:

Forgot to ask, if I upgrade my OS, I won't lose the data on the Pooled Drives, as long as I don't nuke any of them, correct?

9 answers to this question

Yes, it will work with Windows Server 2016 just fine.

The kernel is the same as Windows 10, so .. if it works for one, it works for both. 

And we've tested it a decent bit, with no issues... well, one... the release and public beta require an additional reboot to install he the correct driver, which is fixed in the latest internal beta builds. 

So, no issues with it. 

Yes, it will work with Windows Server 2016 just fine.

The kernel is the same as Windows 10, so .. if it works for one, it works for both. 

And we've tested it a decent bit, with no issues... well, one... the release and public beta require an additional reboot to install he the correct driver, which is fixed in the latest internal beta builds. 

So, no issues with it. 

Sweet. I have a free copy of Windows 2016 Data Center Edition. I was going to upgrade from my 2k12. It'll be nice to test it out. I wish Microsoft would officially release an SSH setup for Windows =/

SSH?  Have you checked out "Enter-PSSession" in powershell? :)

It's a remote powershell session, and very SSH-y. :)

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/reference/5.1/microsoft.powershell.core/enter-pssession

I believe it does require remote management to be enabled, but ... I use this over the domain. It works fantastically.

SSH?  Have you checked out "Enter-PSSession" in powershell? :)

It's a remote powershell session, and very SSH-y. :)

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/reference/5.1/microsoft.powershell.core/enter-pssession

I believe it does require remote management to be enabled, but ... I use this over the domain. It works fantastically.

The thing about SSH is, it's almost universal. I'm assuming you can't access the Enter-PSSession from a Linux box because Linux doesn't have powershell..

I have a multi-platform environment, Windows, Linux and Unix.

*Almost*.  If it's not everywhere, then it's not universal. :)

As for Linux... 

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/powershell/2016/08/18/powershell-on-linux-and-open-source-2/

Windows, Ubuntu 14+, CentOS 7+, and MacOS 10.11 are support (and docker is listed).

:)

And there are apparently a bunch of SSH servers for Windows.

Is anyone actually deployed there?  I'm trying to deploy it on a 2016 server but I can't get past the registration page. I've reached out to customer support but it's a bit slow, the back and forth.  I wondered if anyone else had any issues, and how they got around it.  Specifically, when I enter my key, the form goes blank but nothing seems to actually happen...

I'm using DrivePool and Stablebit on my new 2016 server with no issues, Jason. I am using the beta versions of both, however.

Ok, thank you! Support asked me to try the beta as well but I'm having the same result. It's not really the software itself so far, it's that I can't get past the activation step. 

Yeah, posted in the ticket, but I'll post here as well.

It looks like this is an issue with the .NET Framework.

The images you've provided (showing just "Title" and "Sub-Title", as well as "all" of the different screens for the window shown at once) indicate that this is really is an issue with .NET Framework.

Unfortunately, because Windows 8 and up heavily integrate .NET into Windows, there really isn't a good fix here.  Removing the feature and re-adding it *may* work, but in your case, you've already indicated that it did not.

In this case, a reinstallation is probably the only real solution, unfortunately.