Weird different kind of errors, please help identify.

Socrates

Question

Hi all,

I am a very happy Stablebit Scanner user. Many a times it has helped me identify the bad disks, and notifying me to replace them promptly.

Never a single byte of data loss.

Although in recent times, Stablebit has been warning me of messages thats beyond my understanding.

Please help me understand what this means, and actions i need to take to prevent data loss.

In recent times, these are the messages popping up through a notification email i've sent for stablebit scanner.

S.M.A.R.T. Warning on "SERVER". One or more disks are suspect:
  • HGST HMS5C4040ALE640 SCSI Disk Device - 1 warnings
    • The hard disk had to retry its spin-up operation 1 time after the first attempt failed. A hard disk will retry a spin-up operation when it can't reach its fully operational speed on the first attempt. This can indicate motor or bearings trouble. It can also be caused by a bad power supply.

• Also, at times, i have noticed when i reboot my server, i get these msgs...
    • HGST HMS5C4040ALE640 SCSI Disk Device - 1 warnings
      • The hard disk had to retry its spin-up operation 1 time after the first attempt failed. A hard disk will retry a spin-up operation when it can't reach its fully operational speed on the first attempt. This can indicate motor or bearings trouble. It can also be caused by a bad power supply.
    • HGST HDN724040ALE640 SCSI Disk Device - 1 warnings
      • The hard disk had to retry its spin-up operation 65536 times after the first attempt failed. A hard disk will retry a spin-up operation when it can't reach its fully operational speed on the first attempt. This can indicate motor or bearings trouble. It can also be caused by a bad power supply.

• At times i see this msgs.
  •  
    File System Damaged on "SERVER". One or more volumes have file systems that are damaged:
    • Seagate ST3000DM001-1ER1 SCSI Disk Device - damaged volumes
      • C:\FlexRAID-Managed-Pool\class1_0\{59a923fd-d573-478d-9e6d-8ee6f332979a}\

2 answers to this question

wow - not good

1. how old is you power supply and is it stressed

2. if the power supply is on the way out - might explain the the first tow quotes

3. if not then you have worn out/failing disks

4. last quote - yeah our friend the Seagate DM - replace pronto or at least investigate further - run chkdsk /f /b - will take a long time but should help recover the volume while you await a replacement

if you have the spare space remove the disks from the pool

Spin Retry count is what it sounds like. It's an issue with getting the drive spun up to speed properly, and may indicate a hardware problem.

However, the second drive that lists the count as "65536" is suspicious, as this is the full value for 64k. (64 x 1024 = 65536)

This may be a parsing error, or a firmware bug with the drive, it's hard to tell from here.

However, the file system damage indicates that a "CHKDSK" pass detected errors on the file system.  The path listed is what hte drive is mounted to. So in this case, where FlexRAID appears to be mounting the drive to.

If the "Spin Retry Count" value continues to rise, especially on both systems, then there maybe a problem here.  As Spider mentions, power supply may be a good place to start looking, as that can cause this sort of issue.

But are you having any other issues with those HGST drives?