Access denied when removing drive

klode

Question

Hi, a month ago I needed to replace a damaged drive according to Scanner. I used the add/remove option in drivepool. It ended up with access denied. Tried many times with same result. So, drastically I just physically removed the drive from the server. I tought this happened because of the damaged drive. Yesterday, I wanted to replace one of my older drives with a new WD20efrx. Went again with the add/remove process and still got an access denied. This drive was healty according to Scanner. So, I believe I shouldn't have any problem removing a drive. Anyone have an idea of what Is going on?

Thanks,

Claude

7 answers to this question

Hi, will check if any errors. It might take few days since I'm at work for the next couple days. I will also try resetting the settings but will wait for your advice on what's in the error logs. I don't want to do anything that is not really needed.

Thanks,

Claude

Well, 9 times out of 10, resetting the settings fixes the issues. I ask for the logs first, so Alex can take a look at them and see what may be causing the issues.

Worst case, just zip up the logs, and reset the settings and see if that helps. If it doesn't, then submit them when you get a chance.

Hi Drashna, after looking for errors, effectively I can see them for each time I tried to remove the damaged drive. I also see the 2 errors when tried to remove the drive few days ago. I zipped the log and will send now. Let me know if you find anything interesting.

Thanks,

Claude

Edit: just sent the error reports

Edited by klode

Okay, then it's definitely something crashing when it is trying to remove the disks.

Worst case here, for the meanwhile, you could downgrade to an ealier version.

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePool/release/download/StableBit.DrivePool_1.3.3.7563_Release.wssx

Or you could use the "File Placement Limiter" to clear out the drive in question, and once it's empty, to physically remove it. And then use DrivePool's UI to remove the missing disk. That should work.

I've also alerted Alex to the issue, because you're not the only one having this issue, it seems.

Hi Drashna, just a follow-up on the issue, I reset the Drivepool settings as you suggested. When done, it returned to trial for 30 days. Again, I had to remove a drive and replace it with a bigger one. It removed the drive without any problem. So, I guess all is fine now. May be Alex will find what was wrong and be able to do something since I don't seems to be the only one having this issue.

Thanks again,

Claude