MKLINK problems

seanvree

Question

Setup:

Windows 10 64

physical drives in pool:

1 WD HDD 6TB (M:) (2TB used) 

1 WD HDD 6TB (U:) (1TB used)

So, before i started using DP, I had no problems creating SYMLINKS and HARDLINKS to serve up to several clients on my LAN from the Windows 10 machine's pool. 

However, I noticed after creating the pool, both SMYLINK /J works, but the directories on the clients disappear and reappear with no visible pattern.  

If I use /H (switch for HARDLINK), then I get "The request is not supported."

Now, if I create the symlink (/H or /J) to/from  the physical drive to the hidden folder "poolPart" and run the same command, same file, everything works.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a limitation in the software?

Thanks,

1 answer to this question

We don't support hardlinks on the pool, at all.

Hardlinks are an NTFS object, and not an actual file (like other reparse points). 

This means that we cannot support them as we are emulating NTFS on a virtual disk, rather than supporting NTFS natively. 

This is also why Hard links only work on the same volume and not across volumes. 

You need to use symlinks, reparse points or junctions instead. 

The reason that this works for the underlying pooled disks, is that these are real disks, and the NTFS objects work there.  

As for the symlinks disappearing, could you update to the latest version and see if the issue persists? 

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/StableBit.DrivePool_2.2.0.734_x64_BETA.exe