Just making sure I'm doing this right....Noob question for a non-noob

seanvree

Question

Just need to make sure I understand this right and make sure I'm doing this right. 

Situation:

1 WD HDD 6TB (M:) (2TB used) 

1 WD HDD 6TB (U:) (1TB used)

Goal: make ONE pool (E:) with the total size of 12 TB (M:+U:) and all data from M: and U: on E:

Problem:  Both drives already have data on them that I cannot loose

Solution: I create a pool (E).  I then start MOVING (NOT copying) data from both M: and U: to E:

Once that free space is cleared on M: and U:, DrivePool will then then automatically allocate that free space from M: and U: to E:, ultimately having a total E: disk size of 12TB and used space would equal 3TB (which is M: and U: current used data)

I guess my question is i want to ensure that AFTER I've created the pool with the two drives, DrivePool will automatically allocate the new free space from the Old Drives to the new pool, correct?  Do I need any special settings to ensure this is the case?

Thanks,

4 answers to this question

Hi

Have a read of this http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4142489

dp does not wipe drives - your data will remain - you "just" move it in to the poolpart directory on each disk

DP will then present it as one set of data

Might be time to think how you should setup your backup strategy :)

What Spider99 has said. Dead on. 

As for the free/allocated space, the pool stores the files on the underlying disks. The free space is computed based on the usage of the pooled disks. 

So, if you "seed" the pool, as is, you'll have 3TBs used, and 9TBs of free space. (approximately)  For a total of 12TB (2x6TB).