Force/assure one copy of a file on particular drive in pool

Elijah_Baley

Question

I have a rather large pool with 2X duplication on a large part of it and I have one drive in the pool that I want to be sure that one copy of the duplicated files from a particular folder is always stored on that physical drive.

That is I have these drives in the pool: (paired down from reality for brevity)

D:

E:

F:

G:

H:

and the pool is mapped to X:

Under X I have folders:

F1

F2

F3

F4

F5

and 2X duplication is on for all those folders.

I want to be sure that at least one copy of all the files and folders from F1 are stored on H:

I do not care what the distribution of the other folders are and I do not care where the second copy of the files from F1 reside.

I think what I want to do is possible but for the life of me I cannot seem to reason it out in such a way that I am sure that what I want is possible.

When files are initially written into F1 I do not much care where the first copy gets stored as long as, when duplication is complete, one copy is stored on H: in its PoolPart folder.

The reason I need this is complex but suffice to say that I have a program that REALLY does not reliably read from the pool but does read fine from a physical disk.

There is another solution where I keep the directory outside the pool but that would complicate other things.

I am hoping there is something in the balancing/file placement rules or settings that would allow me to do as I want.

Note: F1 is never more than about 10% of the size of H: and its files are dynamic but, as I said, it does not matter where the first copy gets placed as long as one copy ends up on H: after duplication completes. Also currently the pool is only about 75% full.

Thanks for any and all help and/or ideas.

1 answer to this question

File Placement rules does manage this, at least in part. 

http://stablebit.com/Support/DrivePool/2.X/Manual?Section=File%20Placement

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/208-stablebit-drivepool-controlling-folder-placement/

However, it sounds like you're asking for something more like "duplication grouping".  This is a feature we do plan on implementing in the near future, but we have no ETA for it.