Latest Stats and PR from Backblaze

Spider99

Question

6 answers to this question

Hey look, WDC drives have a 2-3x higher failure rate than Seagate drives. 

I guess all those haters are going to start switching their opinions on bad drives based on the BackBlaze stats they've been using as vindication for their bias against Seagate for years now .

I'll wait for the change...... 

Sarcasm aside, these stats mean little to nothing. All they really do is prove two things: 

• That people are heavily biased and will grasp at anything that confirms that bias (confirmational bias), and
  • That people are horrible at reading statistics

The Seagate desktop drives were terrible for me. I now have all Toshiba 3TB and HGST 6TB NAS and have had no failures or SMART warnings since the first Toshibas were installed 2.5 years ago. I had 20 of the Seagate 3TB Desktop drives for which a lot of RMA's had to be submitted prior to the 2 year warranties running out...sometimes multiple drives at once. There are only 2 left in my server now... both RMA'ed units. I have been replacing them as they fail or as they develop SMART warnings. There are only 3 of the 20 that didn't have any issues when they were replaced. If WDC has a higher failure rate than Seagate, then I feel sorry for the people who bought them.

The Seagate desktop drives were terrible for me. I now have all Toshiba 3TB and HGST 6TB NAS and have had no failures or SMART warnings since the first Toshibas were installed 2.5 years ago. I had 20 of the Seagate 3TB Desktop drives for which a lot of RMA's had to be submitted prior to the 2 year warranties running out...sometimes multiple drives at once. There are only 2 left in my server now... both RMA'ed units. I have been replacing them as they fail or as they develop SMART warnings. There are only 3 of the 20 that didn't have any issues when they were replaced. If WDC has a higher failure rate than Seagate, then I feel sorry for the people who bought them.

I had a bunch of the ST3000DM001 drives.  Externals that were "shelled/shucked", and had issues outside of the warranty period (1 year). ....  12 of them. 

That said, it's common for a line/model of drives to have issues. The real question is how the company handles things.  Both handles warranties and RMA very well, in my experience.    

And outside of specific lines, I've found that both companies are very reliable overall. 

My point being that bias is bias.  And many people "in storage" are biased one way or another.   It's the same as refusing to by a brand because you had one bad experience.  And I've literally seen that (especially on Reddit).  

I've had Seagate and WD fail on me. Not Toshiba and HGST but the I have not had them either ;-). Bought one HGST recently to replace a failing Seagate (which was RMA'ed) and I'll see what knowlegde I can gain from this sample of 1 (one).

Hitachi drives are supposed to be really good.  Though, as WDC owns them now, I suspect that will normalize with the rest of the WDC line.

But either way, those He drives are very nice!

Well, I was referring to HGST's He drives, as they're pretty nice, IMO.  And WDC is integrating them into their existing product lines, already (IIRC).  So... :)

As for the duplication grouping, we'll probably have a blog post about it when it is released. But we don't have an ETA for that.