File System check

Banksf

Question

I get an alert viewer message that " A file system need to be repaired"  All drives show as healthy, but the system drive shows that " At least one file system on this drive has not been checked for errors" The drive is formatted as a 60GB drive C: and a 406gb drive D:. The file systems shown by StableBit are 100mb with no drive, the 60GB drive C: & the 406GB drive D:. The file systems on the 100MB and 406GB partitions show as being checked but the 60 GB partition does not. I manually forced all three to be unchecked and the checked but I can't get the error to go away. I also manually ran checkdisk on drive C:.

I followed the directions in the Alert Viewer but that did not get me to anywhere to run repair within StableBit. I tried to recheck the drive, but it runs for less than a minute and goes back to healthy with out checking the unchecked file system.

20 answers to this question

Hmm... so it seems like one partition somehow got into a state where it was not being rechecked, and yet the alert viewer was reporting that as an error.

I'll review the file system scan code to see if I could spot the cause of something like that.

Is there any way to force a recheck of the file system. I marked all the sectors as unchecked and the file system as unchecked. I then rechecked the drive. That ran sucessfully, but the file system is still unchecked. The disk is listed as healthy. I did change the settings for the scanner to check every day. Maybe it will check all the file systems tomorrow. I really don't want to delete everything and start over.

You could manually do a check of the file system by running "chkdsk" on that volume/partition.

Aside from that, marking the drive as unchecked should do that normally. If you have it set to scan automatically, you shouldn't need to do anything else. Otherwise, you'd want to manually start a scan.

Ok I set the scanner settings to scan the file system ever 1 day. The 3 partitions on the drive still show unchecked and I still have the file system alert. I reviewed the event log for CHKDSK and it completed successfully on the 10th. any sugesstions other than deleting all the store files?

Could you get a memory dump of the service?

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Scanner_Freeze

And the ErrorReports?

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Scanner_for_WSS_Error_Reports

And I think it would be best to reset the settings (the Store) at this point.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Scanner_Q4200749

Just thought I'd chime in to say I have one IDE drive that Scanner has never checked the file system on, even if you mark all sectors unchecked and rescan. Sure, I can use chkdsk, but the Scanner feature should do it. But I do love Scanner.

Yeah, there's something wonky going on here. It should be checking all supported file systems I'm looking into it.

I sent in the requested files last night. I then deleted all the files in the server C:\ProgramData\StableBit Scanner directory (Actually the "Service" directory and 3 sub-directories) and rebooted. The program was still there, but I needed to put in my license. All drives showed unchecked. Today, all the drives show health, except the attached USB system backup drive. The problem drive shows healthy, but the file system still shows unchecked and the Alert Viewer still says that "A file system needs to be repaired" (Date and time are still 10/9/13 4:29am).. and directs me to Stablebit to repair it.  All the other internal drives show healthy with file systems checked.

Yes, the same drive. 500 gb Western Digital system drive, Physical Drive 0. It seems to be getting information from somewhere else. I was thinking of deleting all the server event viewer files and resetting the scanner settings again. Is any relevant info stored in User Appdata?

I don't know if I should start a new post but, yesterday at 3:11 pm I got a "disk is failing (smart)" message and at 6:29 I got a "sector unreadable" message. Stablebit in WHS2011 says all drives are health and looking at the drives individually shows no errors.

Could you grab the error reports from Scanner?

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Scanner_for_WSS_Error_Reports

And the logs from WHS?

Zip up C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs and send it to us.

Ideally, open a ticket at http://stablebit.com/contact and attach the files.

Also, has this happened again?

This thread has split into at least two topics: (1) The original File System Check (or Health) and (2) Disparity between what Scanner is reporting and sector unreadable messages.

I'd like to bounce back to the original topic -- After moving a DrivePool pool from WHS2011 to Server 2012 Essentials Hyper-V guest, Scanner is scanning all disks as never been checked as expected. However, after scanning the VHD ("Virtual HD ATA Device") which contains the 160GB C: drive and 350MB System Reserved partition, Scanner won't check the file system. This is the second example on my computers where Scanner won't check a partition's file system. As noted further up this thread, Alex knows some anomaly exists and is checking into it. I'm just reporting another instance.