Remove Drive without Duplicate

pofo14

Question

Is there a way I can just remove my drives, without any duplication to happen.

I recently update my server to windows 10. I am experiencing some weird behavior where it just seems to lock up from time to time. I haven't been able to track down the reason, and decided I just want to do a fresh install of the OS.

In addition to that I wanted to just recreate my DrivePool, meaning not have Drivepool recognize the existing pool. When I try to remove a drive, not matter what settings I have it is trying to move files to other drives.

How can I go about getting a fresh start on the new OS?

Do I just move all data folders out of the PoolPart folder to a root folder on the drive and then delete the PoolPart folder?

4 answers to this question

no need to move anything or remove a drive form the pool

if you uninstall DP the data will remain as is

assuming none of your dp data is on you os drive - i.e. its not part of the pool - then you can re install the OS - re install DP and it will find your original pool with no problem

even works if you move all or part of your drives to another machine

If you do want to change the pool config - then yes after dp is uninstalled / or disable the service - you can move the data out of the poolpart dir and then delete it - although you will have to change the ownership of some directories which are system directories in the poolpart dir - system volume information being one etc

done this a few times - issues with win 10 - but it turned out to be the hba drivers/bios that were the problem

what card are you using?

Interesting you had issue's with Win 10.  I am getting random lock ups, where I then can't do anything on the PC.  My event log is full of storachi EventID 129 errors, which say "Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort1, was issued."   

I tried reinstalling my chipset drivers, installed the Intel RST drivers but this error still persists.  It appears in the log 30-60 times as hour.  at this point I just want to try a clean start.

Can you give a little more details on "change the ownership of some of the directories" - I think I did this once before and had access issue's for some of the sub folders in my drive pool.  Is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks

storachi sounds very much like your sata m/b controller is having an issue with the second port - and or that drive is having issues - or you have changed to raid from ACHI or even the cable is loose - the lockup will be windows trying to connect to the device etc

dont think its a driver issue more hardware/connectivity

as for taking ownership very simply

right click on the directory above any files or directories you want to take ownership of > properties >security>advanced>owner at top > change>type in your user name>ok> check the check box at bottom of dialog .. child permissions...... - you are done

assumes you have admin rights etc

There is a "duplicated data later" option when removing drives.

This skips duplicated data and only moves out unduplicated data, and then duplicates it after the disk is removed 

However, if you plan on reinstalling, you don't need to break the pool up.  Once you reinstall the OS and software, it will automatically rebuild the pool for you. 

Interesting you had issue's with Win 10.  I am getting random lock ups, where I then can't do anything on the PC.  My event log is full of storachi EventID 129 errors, which say "Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort1, was issued."   

I tried reinstalling my chipset drivers, installed the Intel RST drivers but this error still persists.  It appears in the log 30-60 times as hour.  at this point I just want to try a clean start.

Can you give a little more details on "change the ownership of some of the directories" - I think I did this once before and had access issue's for some of the sub folders in my drive pool.  Is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks

Uninstall the Intel RST drivers, reboot and don't reinstall them.  See if that helps. 

Otherwise, go to the Intel website directly and grab the latest RST drivers for your chipset.