Migrating 40 TB ext4 file

denywinarto

Question

As long as the drives are formatted as NTFS when they're on the Windows system, StableBit DrivePool should have no issues reading the drives.

You should be able to add them to the pool at that point. 

However, the data won't be pooled right away. You'll need to move the data over.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4142489

As long as the drives are formatted as NTFS when they're on the Windows system, StableBit DrivePool should have no issues reading the drives.

You should be able to add them to the pool at that point. 

However, the data won't be pooled right away. You'll need to move the data over.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4142489

Thanks! Is a backup really necessary? 

I dont have enough storage to backup all of them

interesting are you saying you can convert ext4 disks to ntfs and keep your data intact?????

i have used disks that have been formatted under linux - using my QNAP - so very old drivers to do this - and they are read by win 10 pro with no problem

However i would still re format them under windows when you can as its not officially supported and windows may have extra options etc on the ntfs that the linux drive may not support etc etc

any system of data storage thats the only "copy" of your data is not a backup - whether its a raid array / drivepool (no matter how many copies you have)/ snap raid/unraid etc - they all are ultimately for redundancy - i.e. they have a level of resilience that gives you time to replace drives/other hardware and still give you access to data. Backup is a minimum of a second copy to be safe two or more copies and one of those off site in another building - cloud is another option but still have your own off stie copy to be safe etc.

Some say i will not backup up this section of data because i can re create it - say your movie collection - that's fine until you come to do it!!! :)

Your using dp so some or all of your data is important to you so you need to judge how important and then sort your backup

Well, chances are, it's like converting NTFS to REFS, eg, a shitload of juggling.  Clearing out a disk, formatting and filling it back up. 

That's my guess, at least. 

Thanks! Is a backup really necessary? 

I dont have enough storage to backup all of them

No, it's not strictly necessary in this case. 

However, whenever messing with stuff like this, it's always a good idea, just in case.   

As in, if you totally completely fuck up, having a backup of the data that you can restore from is a really good idea. 

But this "seeding guide" is basically just moving the files from the root of the NTFS drives into the hidden "PoolPart.xxxxx" folders on the drive that StableBit DrivePool created and remeasuring the pool. 

well thats why i asked it sounds like he thinks you can - copying off format and copy back is not a convertion

I didn't read it that way, he wasn't clear on the process. 

And yeah, it's not exactly efficient, but personally I don't trust any sort of conversion utility. They significantly increase the risk of something going wrong. I'd rather clear a disk, wipe it and format it. 

Sorry for the super late reply!

What i mean is manually copying the data to an empty drive which is formatted to NTFS first...

And since i want to minimize server downtime,

I was just wondering if it's safe to do the process in ubuntu because ubuntu also reads NTFS..

Is it same NTFS as windows' NTFS?

Sorry for the super late reply!

What i mean is manually copying the data to an empty drive which is formatted to NTFS first...

And since i want to minimize server downtime,

I was just wondering if it's safe to do the process in ubuntu because ubuntu also reads NTFS..

Is it same NTFS as windows' NTFS?

That entirely depends on Ubuntu's NTFS driver. 

Since the file system is pretty well documented, there shouldn't be any issues with dong so.

Update : finished setup my new server.. just few things i noticed, network share initial access from windows 7 client is rather slow.. theres a 5 sec delay roughly.. already check the option to fast I/O or something.. any idea why?

Note : performance isnt an issue, i get 80 mbps copy from my server.. only browsing is sometimes lagging, cant always reproduce the lag, but it always happens first time accessing network share after client boots

i have had something similar with a lag on say creating a new directory explorer will hang for a minute or so - then all will be ok after that - i thought it was a windows glitch - hmmmm

strange thing is if i run a backup which will create new directories it will zip through with no issues????

this is on windows 10 Pro

Update : finished setup my new server.. just few things i noticed, network share initial access from windows 7 client is rather slow.. theres a 5 sec delay roughly.. already check the option to fast I/O or something.. any idea why?

Note : performance isnt an issue, i get 80 mbps copy from my server.. only browsing is sometimes lagging, cant always reproduce the lag, but it always happens first time accessing network share after client boots

From an elevated command prompt, run this: 

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=highlyrestricted

This should help with the weird delay/lag issue. 

If not, then try this: 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q7420208

i have had something similar with a lag on say creating a new directory explorer will hang for a minute or so - then all will be ok after that - i thought it was a windows glitch - hmmmm

strange thing is if i run a backup which will create new directories it will zip through with no issues????

this is on windows 10 Pro

Server is using Server 2012R2, right? (signature says so).

If so, I think there is some weird combination going on here causing this issue.  

I've seen it myself.  Though, I can get it to occur on a non-pooled drive occasionally, so I dismissed it as network issues (which I've had on and off). 

However, there is an active ticket for this, because you're not the only one seeing it (I mean unless it's your ticket). 

From an elevated command prompt, run this: 

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=highlyrestricted

This should help with the weird delay/lag issue. 

If not, then try this: 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q7420208

Server is using Server 2012R2, right? (signature says so).

If so, I think there is some weird combination going on here causing this issue.  

I've seen it myself.  Though, I can get it to occur on a non-pooled drive occasionally, so I dismissed it as network issues (which I've had on and off). 

However, there is an active ticket for this, because you're not the only one seeing it (I mean unless it's your ticket). 

Thanks, trying it now and will monitor if it still happens..

Btw i'm also getting "statistics are incomplete"

From googling several topics i have to remeasure it..

Is it safe for the data? the server is still online currently

Yes it 2012 R2

and it not my ticket so good to know its not just me

I thought it was just when you create a new dir in a root directory but it appears to be any directory creation that can set it off

To make sure, is the server running 2012R2 essentials, and is this on the "Shared Folders" share? 

Thanks, trying it now and will monitor if it still happens..

Btw i'm also getting "statistics are incomplete"

From googling several topics i have to remeasure it..

Is it safe for the data? the server is still online currently

For the measuring? 

If so, what version of StableBit DrivePool are you using specifically?

Screenshot_2016_12_31_20_15_41.jpg

i dont think the balancing is working either?

Try using this version then: 

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/StableBit.DrivePool_2.2.0.737_x64_BETA.exe

As for the balancing not working, yeah, it's not going to work if the statistics are incomplete.   The measuring has to complete and work before data can be balanced. 

There are a number of fixes in the newer version that should address measurement issues, and are better at logging when there are problems. 

Could you enable logging, remeasure the pool, and then stop the logging when the error occurs? 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

Open a ticket at https://stablebit.com/Contactas well.

And could you run this:

http://dl.covecube.com/Troubleshooter/StableBit.Troubleshooter.exe

Unfortuantely, I'm not finding a lot of info about the specific error, but it sounds like the drive may be "too fragmented". 

If possible, run "chkdsk J: /f", and then run "defrag J: /H", and then try remeasuring and see if that helps.