WD My Passport 259D WD40NMZW-11GX6S1

tcz06a

I have recently purchased a new USB drive, and StableBit Scanner is using non-manufacturer specific interpretation rules for it.

I have also found that Scanner cannot read from 1705 sectors near the beginning of the disk, although 4 other utilities are reporting able to read and write to those sectors.

I am using Scanner Beta v2.5.2.3103
I noticed that Scanner is not able to read how old the drive is, when it could on an older model of WD My Passport 2TB drive.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know. I am attaching several images to detail the disk.

The included attachments have information from:
CoveCube DirectIO Tool
StableBit Scanner
CrystalDiskInfo

I wonder if Scanner is somehow incorrect about those 1705 sectors being damaged, perhaps due to not communicating with the disk correctly.
For example, DirectIO seems to think this is an SSD when it is not.

-Tomas

CrystalDiskInfo7_0_4.txt

direct.txt

post-2475-0-61472000-1478396460_thumb.png

post-2475-0-91128800-1478396468_thumb.png

post-2475-0-36285800-1478396474_thumb.png

post-2475-0-76403700-1478396484_thumb.png

post-2475-0-71043500-1478396492_thumb.png

Please upgrade to the latest version of StableBit Scanner. 

http://dl.covecube.com/ScannerWindows/beta/download/StableBit.Scanner_2.5.2.3122_BETA.exe

These newer USB drives are using some very different (read weird) ways to report info, and it does cause issues with StableBit Scanner.  The problem has been resolved in the newest versions.

I am happy to report that the problem sectors are not reporting as damaged now. Scanner is still not showing the age of the HD, though. Might that be due to the non-manufacturer specific interpretation of its SMART data? Whatever the reason, it is a minor concern. I am very happy that the provided update seems to have corrected the bad sectors issue. Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, 
I have purchased a WD My Passport 259D (4TB) last month too. During the last years I have bought several external HD from WD too.

With my last drives, I have never met any problem accessing to SMART Values, with several programs, like HD Tune Pro, Crystal Disk Info, StableBit Scanner etc (and also with the WD programs like (WD Drive Utilities and Data Lifeguard Diagnostic)

However this new drive, only shows 4 values: Read Error Rate, Spin-Up Time, Reallocated Sectors Count, Temperature. 

In any program I run, no errors were found in my new HDD. However, this is very weird and annoying, because I can't ensure my drive is in perfect state.
I can not even know the hours the drive has been On.... :(

I think it's the same problem tcz06a has encountered

Is it possible that the drive is not working well? Or all of the new WD drives have the same problem?

Thanks

Based on my research with this drive, and using a plethora of tools to probe for SMART data, I believe that the drive simply is not tracking anything besides those four attributes. Perhaps more information is recorded by, and in, the drive's firmware, but not in SMART. It is disappointing, but there isn't anything to be done about it for now.

This is the drive I purchased:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822235121

I was able to get a bit more info from it, I think, when I used the program smartctl. That was a while ago, though. I don't recall if it was useful. I will be keenly interested if Alex is able to eke out any more useful data from this drive. If you want any additional info, such as firmware revisions, etc., I am happy to help.

This is the drive I purchased:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822235121

I was able to get a bit more info from it, I think, when I used the program smartctl. That was a while ago, though. I don't recall if it was useful. I will be keenly interested if Alex is able to eke out any more useful data from this drive. If you want any additional info, such as firmware revisions, etc., I am happy to help.

Thanks. 

And SMARTCTL may have gotten more information out, but using non-SMART data.  

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/27255

Thanks, at least I know my external HDD is okay.
I send an email to WD and the boy that answer was not a techncian and didn't know anything about this. They told me that I can return the drive to the store and replace it for a proper one which can have all of the information I need. However I don't want to return the drive if it's okay
It's strange, I've never found a drive with only 4 values in SMART..

I googled it and I only found this thread regarding this issue. What do you think? May I change it for another drive?

In my opinion, I think a drive with such a measly SMART attribute set is not necessarily any more or less suitable for most people's needs. It does pose, I think, a greater liability, insomuch as you have fewer attributes to indicate the drive's health and overall fitness. Had I known beforehand, I would have chosen a different drive. I left feedback expressing this with WD. If it is working alright for you now, you will simply need to remain extra vigilant of its health yourself. Fortunately, StableBit Scanner's core scanning features can be leveraged for this easily.