Disk not mounting to drive letter

IanN

Question

Upgraded to 753 to try and fix the issues with GDrive, but now have a different issue. When I mount a drive built in a previous version, it does not give it a drive letter. Is there anyway to force this? I need to copy the data from that drive into a newly created version.

19 answers to this question

Yes, thats what I normally do, but this just won't mount at all. Tried a server reboot, killing the process and restarting etc. nothing seems to work. Can't detach the drive as still 104Gb to upload. Its got 4Tb of data on it so hopefully I haven't lost it

One time I found the cloud drive disk marked "offline" in windows disk management (which, by the way, you can access by hitting windows+r and entering diskmgmt.msc) - i.e. the disk itself was there, but no partitions/volumes visible - right clicking and selecting "activate" onto the empty disk solved the problem.

One time I found the cloud drive disk marked "offline" in windows disk management (which, by the way, you can access by hitting windows+r and entering diskmgmt.msc) - i.e. the disk itself was there, but no partitions/volumes visible - right clicking and selecting "activate" onto the empty disk solved the problem.

That's ... odd, but yeah, that would cause issues.

Ok, think I might of found the issue. The disk that I was using as the local had about 2Tb of data on it. Rightly or wrongly, I killed the clouddrive processes and then deleted all of the local data (when deleting it showed as 11.9Tb). Loaded CloudDrive back up and re-authorised the drives etc. and all working perfectly. No errors and transferring data fine.

Ok, think I might of found the issue. The disk that I was using as the local had about 2Tb of data on it. Rightly or wrongly, I killed the clouddrive processes and then deleted all of the local data (when deleting it showed as 11.9Tb). Loaded CloudDrive back up and re-authorised the drives etc. and all working perfectly. No errors and transferring data fine.

If you used the task manager to terminate the process, this can cause issues.  The Service needs to gracefully shut down and flush the data to disk, or problems can occur. 

If you wish to stop the service, use "net stop CloudDriveService" or use the Services console (run "services.msc") to stop the StableBit CloudDrive Service. 

Yeah mine has all kinds of issues these days. Google Drive dropped drive letter. It's still in the GUI and still uploading/downloading files but doesn't show up in Disk Management, doesn't show up using diskpart as even an offline or inactive disk. It doesn't exist. And of course since the drive letter dropped DrivePool thinks it is gone and spits out errors.... 

If this is for Google Drive (and I suspect it was), try upgrading to 1.0.0.770.

We've implemented a pool of API keys that are used, and this should prevent people from maxing out the calls and hitting the "Rate Limit Exceeded" issues.  So it should help with performance and stability. 

However, you do need to reauthorize the drive once you've upgraded to use the pool of API keys ( "Drive Options" -> Reauthorize" )

Nice. Rebooted server because a google drive wasn't grabbing a drive letter (uploading/downloading fine, said disk 5, no letter). Server comes back up, drive mounts to a drive letter.. still says missing in DrivePool. Interesting. Check Disk Management.... Disk 5 is now a RAW partition. Cool, lost the 150GB on there I guess :/

Nice. Rebooted server because a google drive wasn't grabbing a drive letter (uploading/downloading fine, said disk 5, no letter). Server comes back up, drive mounts to a drive letter.. still says missing in DrivePool. Interesting. Check Disk Management.... Disk 5 is now a RAW partition. Cool, lost the 150GB on there I guess :/

Did you try running "CHKDSK" on that drive? 

It may fix the issue, actually.

That or try detaching the drive, and re-attaching it. 

At this point I just trashed it. Takes less time to spin up a new drive than troubleshoot something with 100 gigs on it. My new stance has been if I'm using CloudDrive/DrivePool... a drive will stop working for some random reason. So I just setup a billion drives (obvious exaggeration) and keep things balanced between them so there's as little loss as possible when one does stop working. Your cache implementation keeps you above the other services much like CloudDrive so don't screw that up :P