Cloud Drive accessible from 2 PCs?

Andreas

Question

9 answers to this question

No it doesn't allow this.  

This is because new data is cached locally.  So that data is not pushed up to the cloud right away.

So the data in the cloud is not necessarily consistent or "whole".  

It's the same reason that you can't attach the same drive to multiple machines at the same time, without using sort sort of server software (such as file shares on Windows). 

I know its answered in the  FAQ 

Q. Can I mount the same cloud drive on multiple computers at the same time?

No, you can't. Each cloud drive can only be attached to one computer at a time. You can easily detach a cloud drive from one computer and attach it to another at any time using the StableBit CloudDrive user interface.

But is there any chance to get that implementet later?

It would be so great, if you can offer an solution for that!!

The technical reason for this is that there is no way to ensure that t he cache is synced between systems.  That means there is no way to properly do this without causing corruption.

Period. 

So, the answer is always going to be "no".  Sorry. 

The reason for this is that StableBit Clouddrive doesn't deal with files. It deals with raw disk data, eg sectors/clusters of data on the drive.  

When you write a file, NTFS or whatever file system you're using writes the data to the disk as an NTFS entry and as raw data on the drive.  

However, this takes time to be uploaded to the cloud provider. 

But in the meanwhile, what happens when another system adds data and uses the same blocks?  The Cloud Provider doesn't care, and will happily replace the first system's data. And even it's NTFS entry, if needed.  Meaning that you lose that data. 

Since this is completely unacceptable, this is the reason there is the one system limit for mounting the drive. 

The only way around this issue is if we offered some sort of intermediary service. That means a LOT of traffic, a lot of storage, and violates the "trust no one" encryption goal. 

However, using a server of some sort (eg, file share server, web server) or other utility (such as BT Sync, SeaFile, etc) are options that would allow you to access the data at multiple different locations without the potentially corruption issue mentioned above. 

Its not that it can't be done...its that it would take a web based mechanism to queue and/or lock multiple pushes to the drive from each computer.  This mechanism could only need to know the IPs of the computers with access and if a copy is in progress or not - all others are disabled until the copy is completed.  Not sure i agree that any encrypted data would be violated here just a secured list of computers that are authorized to push to a mount.

Doesn't sound like a focus for stablebit though...

The technical reason for this is that there is no way to ensure that t he cache is synced between systems.  That means there is no way to properly do this without causing corruption.

Period. 

So, the answer is always going to be "no".  Sorry. 

The reason for this is that StableBit Clouddrive doesn't deal with files. It deals with raw disk data, eg sectors/clusters of data on the drive.  

When you write a file, NTFS or whatever file system you're using writes the data to the disk as an NTFS entry and as raw data on the drive.  

However, this takes time to be uploaded to the cloud provider. 

But in the meanwhile, what happens when another system adds data and uses the same blocks?  The Cloud Provider doesn't care, and will happily replace the first system's data. And even it's NTFS entry, if needed.  Meaning that you lose that data. 

Since this is completely unacceptable, this is the reason there is the one system limit for mounting the drive. 

The only way around this issue is if we offered some sort of intermediary service. That means a LOT of traffic, a lot of storage, and violates the "trust no one" encryption goal. 

However, using a server of some sort (eg, file share server, web server) or other utility (such as BT Sync, SeaFile, etc) are options that would allow you to access the data at multiple different locations without the potentially corruption issue mentioned above. 

Couldn't "READ ONLY" connections be possible ? It shouldn't be necessary to reupload new data all the time should it?

Couldn't "READ ONLY" connections be possible ? It shouldn't be necessary to reupload new data all the time should it?

That is a fantastic idea! I could have my main PC which runs 24/7, in "read only" so that I could stream PLEX, whilst granting write access to my laptop which is what I mainly use, however is not on all day long.

Drashna - what do you think? This would be perfect for my Amazon Cloud setup.

Only if all drives are mounted as such, and NO drive is able to write to the drive. 

Because even if one drive is writing to it, you'll still run into this same issue.

And yes, it's been suggested, and it's on the feature request list, so it may make a 1.1 release.