Disk Performance Graphics

Spider99

Question

Hi

i am curious what the Disk Performance area of the DP ui is trying to tell me

when copying data to the pool over the network i can see files being added to the pool and the upload/download speeds etc

But what do the colours mean?

Also if you have a large file the thin line below the file path appears to go backwards and forward and then settles on a full 100% width - again not sure what this is trying to telling me

16 answers to this question

oh yes i have - smarty pants!  :D  :P

and that link does not explain the colours

path does not change

although its trying to show disk activity ( which disk does it refer to as the numbers are wrong for a SSD cache - is it the HDD its being copied to???)

- would it be more informative if it showed % complete of the copy as with large files its "stuck" at 100% for a minute or two

Admittedly i am copying 20 TB to the pool which is maxing out the pool at various times 

It does, but yeah, it could be clearer. :)

IIRC, 

Switch is the easiest, it's switching between disks,

Optimal is using the full read striping and reading from both disks at the same time. 

Hold is (I believe) is when there are files with higher priority reading other files.

path does not change

although its trying to show disk activity ( which disk does it refer to as the numbers are wrong for a SSD cache - is it the HDD its being copied to???)

I'm not entirely sure what you mean here? 
Would you mind grabbing a screen capture?

- would it be more informative if it showed % complete of the copy as with large files its "stuck" at 100% for a minute or two

Admittedly i am copying 20 TB to the pool which is maxing out the pool at various times 

As for percentages, that would only work if every read and/or write was to the entire file, and not just to a section of it.  Since programs can (and do regularly) write to only small sections, that would make this incredibly complicated to compute and add significant overhead (we'd have to compute the final size, the amount being written... which could change, compare the values, etc) 

There isn't a good way to do this that provides more meaningful data. 

Switch is the easiest, it's switching between disks,

Optimal is using the full read striping and reading from both disks at the same time. 

Hold is (I believe) is when there are files with higher priority reading other files.

Lol - wrong colours - i meant the colours on the right hand side - i.e. the colour of the files being copied/moved :) 

I'm not entirely sure what you mean here? 

Would you mind grabbing a screen capture?

Would love to but Boris had had major heart surgery today as the RR drives finally gave up last night - god the alarm on the RR is loud (cant turn it off as no man interface - grr) - trashed the system - only boots one time in 5 - sigh - anyway thats for another

thread

What i mean is if a file is copying to the cache (ssd) at 118 mb/s (via network) then the thin line should only be a sixth of the way along the file graphic - even if its copying it to another drive it should be 30% tops - as dup is done in memory - so why is the disk activity bar at 100%? (ignoring the variations) - only way this makes sense is if its the HDD being copied to (ignoring the dup to keep it simple) - even though the individual HDD could write faster as the whole thing is limited by the network - yes it also depends which part of the disk is being written to (outside to inside etc). If its trying to show a burst of activity to the hhd cache then the line would jump around a lot more etc

Anyway over to you to tell me i'm wrong again :)

As for percentages, that would only work if every read and/or write was to the entire file, and not just to a section of it.  Since programs can (and do regularly) write to only small sections, that would make this incredibly complicated to compute and add significant overhead (we'd have to compute the final size, the amount being written... which could change, compare the values, etc) 

There isn't a good way to do this that provides more meaningful data

Hmm - well then apart from which file is being copied/edited - i'm at a loss what the display is trying to show/inform???

Well, for the RocketRAID card, I'm sorry to hear that .... I think they knew they're being phased out and decided to go kicking and screaming! :(

As for the line, do you mean on the left or right side?  

The left side being overall performance, and the right being the the individual file performance.  

Okay, I should take a closer look at this, and read the manual myself....  

(it's been a long week or three). 

it lists the file on the left, the read and write speeds on the left, and the bars underneath each file is the progress of the individual file access, so basically, "percentage" done. 

However, as for colors, I'm only seeing the dark blue, I'm not seeing anything else... 

But I'll inquire anyways.