Deleted data, able to copy in pool parts?

Kiowa

Question

While I am not sure why, I got hit with duplication inconsistent.  It showed a unduplicated (dark blue) over all of the drives, small amounts on each.  I had a 4 TB drive and I removed it and told it to duplicate later due to not wanting to wait and I needed the drive.  This may have been a bad idea, either way I would have thought it would at least move/duplicate the unduplicated items.

It appears it just removed the disk, didn't move off anything and then in the logs it looks like it just deleted everything off the disk.  It left about 200 GB of stuff behind on the disk, in the logs it says it was unable to delete everything.  Before removing the disk I had about 6TB of free space on the pool after removing the disk I had 4.9 free. (math doesn't work).  I do not know everything that was deleted as of yet, just that it does appear to be quite a lot.

I tried to do a "recheck duplication" but it would never actually do anything.  I restarted the service but it is going on half an hour now and it is not back up.  I appreciate people have used the software with success but so far i've had nothing but problems between this, unduplicated other, drives being evac'ed for no reason and the list goes on.  While I agree it could be the hardware this box has never had any problems prior to using Drivepool.  So I think, unfortunately as much as I wanted to love it, it is my time to part.  But that being said I need to try to get my stuff back, start the long process of moving everything and then abandon ship.

I downloaded Recuva and it found all of the stuff that is no long in the pool, would it be possible to recover the disk assuming it will and then add it back to the pool?  Any better way of getting the stuff back on the disk that anyone knows?

4 answers to this question

The "Duplicate Data Later" option specifically ONLY skips the duplicated data (if it's on another disk).  It will then move the unduplicated data off of the drive.

The only time that this may not be the case is if you checked the "Force Damaged Disk Removal" option as well. This skips problem files rather than aborting the removal process. 

Additionally, when running the removal this way, all of the duplicated data is left on the disk. It would be located in the hidden "PoolPart.xxxxx" folder. 

What version of StableBit DrivePool are you using?

And yes, data recovery will work, but the data may not be in the proper folder structure when you recover it.

Version 2.2.0.651 Beta.

I didn't do a force removal.  When I removed the disk it was over half full the pool parts that remain are only 250GB.  The log also had this in it.

DrivePool.Service.exe Warning 0 [RemoveDriveFromPool] Error on final delete after drive removal for \\?\Volume{9e4a230a-213d-4625-a7a7-ccaff4cef6c6}\PoolPart.80315d55-1ce0-4461-850a-cf06b18fe324\. Unable to delete all files after removing pool part

I started recovering the files off of the disk with the structure onto a new disk, drivepool picked it up as a new pool.  So I stopped after about 500GB of data was recovered, so far not everything could be recovered unfortunately.  Most likely going to try to recover on another computer.

The pool has been duplicating since this all happened, i finally found a post about hitting the >> about an hour ago and it seems to be doing something again.  So far I have just been recovering files I can't find in the Drivepool.

I had a file dump off the entire pool into a text file prior to all of this happening.  After getting mysql loaded up and cleaning off the pool parts with sed I was able to compare what was on the pool prior and find what I need to restore from the drive.

Additionally for some reason I have a bunch of Other and Unduplicated data, so I loaded every single file into a new table and had it do a count to find files that are not duplicated even though everything should be.  Nothing I do seems to be able to make Drivepool truly duplicate everything.  The list of not duplicated files isn't all that large thankfully but Drivepool seems to think it is optimal which it obviously is not.

I've tried doing a remeasuring, rebooting the PC, deleting the Stablebit Drivepool folder in ProgramData.  The software just does not appear to work properly.  If I were to lose a drive that contains the only copy of some of these files i'd be pretty SOL.

After I get all of the missing files restored I am going to make a second pool and just have 2 separate pools with 1x each and then sync them with Syncback or something, at least this way it makes sure to have 2 copies of everything.  It isn't ideal but still better than managing 40ish drives manually.  If I lose a drive in a pool i'll just replace it and reverse the sync to get everything back.