Excessive memory usage

sausages

Question

17 answers to this question

Definitely seems to be an issue. Starting a fresh instance of the service, uploading at 200-250mbs to GD. Memory use starts at basically zero and starts to climb about 100-150MB/sec. Once the server gets around 85-90% Memory utilization (CloudDrive Service using 45-55GB) it slows to a crawl and the program GUI starts to act all funky.

Just some more info. If I disable upload threads so there's no uploading the memory starts to drop by a few MB a second. So without completely stopping the service and starting fresh (which interrupts any access to the virtual drive) the only way to "work around" it at the moment is to pause all uploading manually. 

Resetting default settings seemed to help. I noticed looking around that the service config file options were not the same type of options that the config.default had. Reset to default, started back up. Only at a couple GB now after like 5min of uploading. I'll be curious to see if it still just climbs to system limit and starts to hang, or if it'll flush some of the memory once the uploading is done.

edit: Yeah I'm going to go ahead and say a reset to default config worked. Watching it work... It got up to 11GB Memory used, dropped down to 9GB automatically, going back and forth around 10-15GB. Definitely doing some pruning of itself now.

The newer builds added a new memory management thing for caching file_ids. I think maybe the combination of an "old" config without the settings and the new features maybe messes things up. I'm back up to ~50GB on GD but it's not freezing up or anything, it's dropping stuff from memory constantly.. I can see it going down and then back up unlike before it was just a beeline to max and then CloudDrive acting weird.

The high MB is due to the NTFS storing data in memory about each file. Due to the high volume of files due to the chunk system, it will over time use more and more memory as files get indexed. It is due to the way NTFS works and not something to do with Cloud Drive.

Try adding a couple of million files to your own drive and see the same result over time

The high MB is due to the NTFS storing data in memory about each file. Due to the high volume of files due to the chunk system, it will over time use more and more memory as files get indexed. It is due to the way NTFS works and not something to do with Cloud Drive.

Try adding a couple of million files to your own drive and see the same result over time

I don't understand how you conclude this. As I've mentioned, previous builds of CloudDrive do not present this issue, and I'm fairly sure they utilize the same chunk system.

To be clear, this isn't just a theoretical issue either. At least on my computer, the OS becomes entirely unusable once all memory is exhausted.

post-2815-0-22384200-1477583336_thumb.jpg

Every version after 1.0.0.726 is using a new "file ID storage" system to optimize API calls.  This is done by running a local database, which may account for the high usage. 

If you are seeing high memory usage, make sure you are on the 1.0.0.744 build, reboot and see if it's still having issues. 

Additionally, let me know what providers you're using, and if you're using multiple drives.

Also, let me know if the drive is being actively used (read from and written to) and if you have any "To Upload" data. 

Additionally, let me know if you're using any antivirus, backup or disk tools on the system. 

And if you want, head to https://stablebit.com/Contactto submit this information, as it will be private.

I am seeing this issue. It's sitting at around 9.5GB of memory usage at the moment, and growing. I am using .744, and I have rebooted. 

This is with a single drive on Google Drive. The drive is being actively used, and I have a little less than 1.5GB of data to upload. 

No AV, backup, or disk tools. 

Seems like a memory leak.

Just noticed that the machine running CloudDrive was unresponsive - the CloudDrive service was apparently using upwards of 8GB of memory and it was thrashing the page file. It's running .744 and was uploading at the time, I had previously copied across several GB to the cloud drive, but am unsure if that had finished before the memory explosion.

Not sure if any of this will be relevant, but AV is Nod32, and the machine is also running Crashplan for backups. Only a single GoogleDrive is attached.

I am seeing this issue. It's sitting at around 9.5GB of memory usage at the moment, and growing. I am using .744, and I have rebooted. 

This is with a single drive on Google Drive. The drive is being actively used, and I have a little less than 1.5GB of data to upload. 

No AV, backup, or disk tools. 

Seems like a memory leak.

Just noticed that the machine running CloudDrive was unresponsive - the CloudDrive service was apparently using upwards of 8GB of memory and it was thrashing the page file. It's running .744 and was uploading at the time, I had previously copied across several GB to the cloud drive, but am unsure if that had finished before the memory explosion.

Not sure if any of this will be relevant, but AV is Nod32, and the machine is also running Crashplan for backups. Only a single GoogleDrive is attached.

Alex is looking into it, and it sounds like there is a memory leak.

Hopefully, we'll have a fix for it soon.