Cloud Options - Which are stable?

Kiowa

Question

I had a few questions about the Stablebit Cloud Drive.

1)  Which cloud options are stable and usable at this time?  I have seen a few suggestions for Google but then quite a few threads making it seem unstable.

2)  I saw some people mention you can get the Google Drive unlimited for 10 dollars a month.  Does anyone know if this is actually true even though the site states otherwise?

3)  Any plans to possible to allow point to point via cloud drive?  Possibly handling the replication between 2 sites.

4)  If number 3 is no, what about support on Own Cloud?  This would be pretty nice because you could seed locally and then take the copy to another location while maintaining the encryption.

I do like the concept of the product but assuming I tried to upload 20-30TB of data it'd take a long time (which I don't mind that much assuming Google Drive was unlimited and stable). My current thought process is to use Crashplan to do a local seed with a few 10TB drives to keep it in a single case and then move the computer to a remote location to continue backups.

I'd rather use the cloud drive so it can be read on different computers as Crashplan is simply a backup only solution.  If support for Own Cloud existed it could be mounted on multiple computers and then i would just use Crashplan to backup non media type things which would be much smaller and allow the remaining stuff to stay in Own Cloud or Google Drive depending.

Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

5 answers to this question

1) Google Drive is still the recommended provider. There are some issues with rate limiting at the moment, but they do not affect stability and they are working on getting them fixed.

2) It is true. There are several users here on the forums who pay 10 a month for a single user, have for years, and are not limited. Of course, Google could choose to enforce that policy at any time, so use this at your own risk.

4) You can use FTP providers now, which would enable most users to quickly set up a cloud drive on MOST web space.

The poster above is incorrect. Google Drive remains unlimited for businesses, nonprofits, and schools. I have my unlimited Drive account as an alumni of my university, for example. 

"The poster above is incorrect. Google Drive remains unlimited for businesses, nonprofits, and schools. I have my unlimited Drive account as an alumni of my university, for example. "

Google Drive is not unlimited anymore for the average person as far as their webpage https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2375123?hl=en

Although the G Suite for business may well be - https://gsuite.google.com/pricing.html

depends what you qualify for

It used to be available for everyone which is what i was referring to :)

1)  Which cloud options are stable and usable at this time?  I have seen a few suggestions for Google but then quite a few threads making it seem unstable.

The best providers are the enterprise ones (Amazon S3, Azure, etc). These are MUCH more expensive, but are MUCh more stable.

As for Google Drive, you'd want the latest build (1.0.0.730), as that should be the most reliable.

2)  I saw some people mention you can get the Google Drive unlimited for 10 dollars a month.  Does anyone know if this is actually true even though the site states otherwise?

With a business/educational account. A bit more work, IIRC, or ... from shady places...

3)  Any plans to possible to allow point to point via cloud drive?  Possibly handling the replication between 2 sites.

Potentially. 

For now, you'd need to install something on the system to enable remote access to it. Like BT Sync or the like.

4)  If number 3 is no, what about support on Own Cloud?  This would be pretty nice because you could seed locally and then take the copy to another location while maintaining the encryption.

OwnCloud is for Linux only (at least the server). 

Additionally, i've had nothing but issues with OwnCloud personally (namely when upgrading).

So getting this to work may be tricky at best.

I do like the concept of the product but assuming I tried to upload 20-30TB of data it'd take a long time (which I don't mind that much assuming Google Drive was unlimited and stable). My current thought process is to use Crashplan to do a local seed with a few 10TB drives to keep it in a single case and then move the computer to a remote location to continue backups.

I'd rather use the cloud drive so it can be read on different computers as Crashplan is simply a backup only solution.  If support for Own Cloud existed it could be mounted on multiple computers and then i would just use Crashplan to backup non media type things which would be much smaller and allow the remaining stuff to stay in Own Cloud or Google Drive depending.

Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.