Causes Acronis True Image 2014 To Hang

Technogod

Can you try doing some testing on your end with Acronis True Image 2014? When I try to open Acronis True Image 2014 while StableBit Scanner is open it hangs. I do have a complex system. Two CineRAID CR-H458 4-Bay Portable RAID Towers attached via USB3. Five SATA Drives connected to Intel Controller and two drives connected to Asmedia Controller. One of the CR-H458 is RAID 5 and the other is Single Drives. I have two Drive Pools using StableBit DrivePool.

Doesn't happen if service is stopped. Windows 8 Pro. It appears that when Acronis opens it looks at all the active partitions on the system. It's never able to  access the partitions of the drives connected via USB3. Scanner had been locking up intermittently. The last time it locked up it never recovered. Stuck on initializing. Deleted store directory and it started working again. Acronis still locked up when loading.

Technogod, I can't seem to replicate the issue on my system. Either in a VM or on physical machines.

Since this is the case, would you mind getting a couple of memory dumps?

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Scanner_Freeze

But preferably this:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_System_Freeze

This involves forcing a BSOD to dump the memory. But if you can duplicate the issue and do this, we can take a good look at what's going on.

Yup. I have two Seagate Backup Plus drives (USB3). Both connected, and True Image runs just fine, and is quite snappy.

I don't have any other external enclosures, but can see about getting one, to see if that's the issue.

If i had to guess, the issue may actually be your USB3 drivers. Since it's still pretty new, there have been a good number of people that have reported issues with them or their systems in general when using USB3.

But I hate pointing fingers (even when it is somebody else's fault/issue). Which is why I asked for those dumps. That way we can be certain about where the issue lies.

And you said the issue doesn't happen if Scanner is stopped. That would indicate a problem with Scanner, or with how it's querying data (it could be causing issues with the driver which could cause the instability.)

And have you tried unplugging each of the enclosures to see if that isn't the cause as well?

Technogod,

I can definitely understand the desire to have it up and running and working. 

however, there are a few advanced settings for Scanner that may "tame" this behavior.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Scanner_Advanced_Settings

Namely these settings.

• DirectIOOverride
  • SmartOverride
  • Smart_NoWmi

But I understand if you don't want to mess around with them.

I got it running. Installed latest Asmedia USB3 driver included in Windows Updates. Then Asmedia USB3 wouldn't work at all. Uninstalled Asmedia driver which was conflicting with the Microsoft driver. Asmedia USB3 started working. Installed StableBit Scanner 2.4.0.2928. Scanner started working and locked up while I was editing settings. Rebooted, Scanner locked up. Uninstalled Scanner. Reinstalled Scanner. Now everything is working. Go figure.

Ah, Asmedia, .... yeah, I've heard them mentioned before, with, I'm sure you can guess it, not good reviews. Both here, and at We Got Served. From everything I've seen, it sounds like their drivers are not really stable. 

And that would account for why I was having no issues. I'm using onboard USB3 which is using AMD's chipset.

Hopefully you don't have any other issues, and Scanner stays working. However, if you don't have one already, I'd recommend making a backup of it in it's working state. Just to make sure.

Technogod, 

That may work, but I'm not sure.

What I do know WILL work is if you click on the "+" nex to a drive, and click on the circle arrow box, you can "mark as good" and skip the check for the time being (until the next pass is due).

But I can definitely see this being tedious, for all 12 drives. Hmm, maybe a "mark all" button would be a good idea for cases like the one you mention.

OMG Installing the Windows Update Asmedia driver was a BIG mistake. I thought I'd never get the system working again. Problem surfaced while using SyncToy to sync files between two pools. Used a system restore point to get it back to the original Asmedia driver. I'm having another issue. I'll submit a ticket.

Don't try and connect two CineRAID CR-H458 4-Bay Portable RAID Towers to ASRock Extreme4 motherboard ASMedia USB3 controller. While using SyncToy to sync 9TB of data between the two, DrivePools kept dropping out. Finally attached one of the RAID Towers to ASMedia ESATA3  and it fixed the problem. Don't use the ASMedia SATA3 driver on the ASRock website with Windows 8. It doesn't support port multiplication and locks the system up during restart. I downloaded ver. 1.4.1.0 form another site and it worked perfectly.

I used a system restore point to get my system back to the original ASMedia USB 3.0 driver from ASRock website and still had the same problem with DrivePools dropping out. Loaded latest ASMedia driver from Windows Update. Same symptom. Restored system to original ASMedia driver.