CloudDrive + DrivePool

Transient

Question

I currently have DrivePool running with several disks (10) in the pool. I am running with the default of 2x duplication. All of this has been working well and DrivePool has saved me a few times from losing data due drive failures.

I would like to add CloudDrive to the pool and store a third copy of some important files there, but I can't seem to figure out how to do this. I thought I could do it with the File Placement settings, but it seems like I'd have to limit myself to only two local drives plus CloudDrive to do that.

Is there any way to just have the third copy placed on CloudDrive? I know I can schedule a nightly robocopy to synchronize the folders, but I think DrivePool probably can do this for me and I'm just missing how.

4 answers to this question

You can use the "Drive Usage Limiter" balancer in DrivePool to specify that only duplicated files be stored on that drive. Then, you can just use the file placement balancer to choose what directories can be duplicated to the cloud.

I'm not sure what you meant about only two local drives plus CloudDrive. I have 4 local drives, two SSDs, and multiple cloud drives in my setup and the duplication works fine. Can you elaborate on this? 

I have 10 local drives and have, up until now, had 2 copies of all files within the pool.

I then added 1 cloud drive to the pool, set the "Drive Usage Limiter" to only store duplicated files on that drive. I also configured the file placement balancer such that the only files under a certain folder are stored on the cloud drive. And I set the folder duplication to 3 copies.

Now here's my problem: Since I have 10 local drives, plus 1 cloud drive, Drive Pool will happily keep most of those 3 copies on the local drives. There's only a 3/11 chance of the files being placed on the cloud drive.

What I'd like is the first 2 copies to be distributed across all the local drives and then the third copy to be placed exclusively on the cloud drive.

The best option I've come up with is to reduce the file placement to only 2 local drives plus the cloud drive, which then forces a full copy to be placed on my cloud drive. It works, but it's not really ideal.

The best way to do this is to use 3rd party syncing utility, at least for now.

The other method is to use either the Disk Usage Limiter balancer, or the File Placement rules to limit the data to a single drive: the CloudDrive Disk.  

The problem with this, is that it will cause the pool condition to be "out of whack" and want to rebalance perpetually. 

We do have planned a "Duplication Grouping" feature in StableBit DrivePool, but there isn't an ETA on this, as it would be a significant re-write.