Drivepool and Linux - what are my options?

elsmandino

Question

Hi there,

Have been using Drivepool for ages and couldn't be happier with it.

However - I have been looking at Linux, recently, and was thinking my Server over from Windows 10.

What are my options?

1. Is there any possible (and reasonable) way to keep on using DP on a Linux system?

2. If not, are there any Linux programs that come close to what DP offers?  My initial research has yet to really find anything.

If I do switch over to Linux, my current DP licence will not be wasted as I will still have a Desktop PC that can use it.  

However, the apparent lack of any decent drivepooling software on Linux is the only thing preventing me from having a go with Linux.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

5 answers to this question

1. The software is Windows only.  

At best, install a VM, pass through the disks.

2. ZFS, SnapRAID, Greyhole (Amahi), MergerFS, or any other FUSE based driver. 

The most recommended is ZFS, because it has a BUNCH of additional features.  However, "simple", it is not. In fact, I'd say that none of these options are really simple. 

Thanks for that.

One of the reasons I wanted to move over to Linux was because I wanted to run TVHeadend or MythTV backend on it (the latter is being developed for Windows but very much considered an unacceptable option).

I also wanted to avoid using a VM on the server.

I did look at all the programs mentioned above and from the looks of things, none are a patch on Stablebit for either functionality of ease of use.

The only other option is something called UNRAID, do you happen to know anything about that?

One of the reasons I wanted to move over to Linux was because I wanted to run TVHeadend or MythTV backend on it (the latter is being developed for Windows but very much considered an unacceptable option).

Ugh... yeah, because the developers don't like Windows. 

There are other options for PVR/DVR here.  

http://alternativeto.net/software/mythtv/

Plex and Emby have some support for various backends. 

The only other option is something called UNRAID, do you happen to know anything about that?

Aware of it, yes.  Experienced with it, not so much. 

The big thing? The license type determines the number of drives that you can use.

Additionally, unRAID has a hard limit (25 or 53 drives, depending on the version).  Anything past that can be used for other purposes, but not the storage.

Additionally, I've heard some not so great things about support (I mean, unless you're Linus from LTT).