Provider Speeds Feedback

Methanoid

Question

I'm interested to know what providers give what speeds for uploads. i.e. if I have a gigabit connection (I don't) which providers will allow me to maximise that speed when uploading?

Please reply with

1) Your upload speed (both advertised and best real world speed ever achieved or Speedtest.net result)

2) Your provider you tested

3) The speed you got with that provider

If you have slow upload speed and you maximise that, that sort of info isn't really needed.. I am interested in which providers support the fastest REAL WORLD upload speeds...

Thanks in advance

Meth

19 answers to this question

Ah  :blink: if you take the HDD why worry about the speeds? But i suppose the conversation with customs might be a pop corn moment for the rest of us :)

Current house - Virgin 200/10 official but at night 215/18 - depends if you have coverage - router basic and very slow to use interface - think they are trialling a 300meg service for some

Old house Infinity2 80/20 in practice 45/6 - BT talks a good game cant deliver on the copper to the house from cabinet - crap shoot on the distance you end up with - my cabinet was ~ 100m away - router useless - just replaced it with my own - again depends on coverage - BT are still rolling it out - still patchy.

Unless you pay for a more expensive product (business) - BT do a 100/100 i think but you pay for the install on top which can be very eye wateringly expensive

Just take HDD and upload via his BB (not direct) cos it would be miles quicker..

Virgin 200 has 12 upload speed official not 10...  Either way.. remains comically slow compared to gigabit up!  I can't get BT fibre but VM is fine, except they are "upgrading" my area as it got congestion recently. For 8 years it has been great and always the full speed.. until last 3-6m... 

Central London you can get gigabit to residential properly (Hyperoptic)...

But back to the question.. can U max your 12 or 18 upload to Google Drive? Amazon Cloud etc?

i have just got ACD an only tested - with a gig of photos - no issues - think i limited the speed so i could still use the net

this was done with there windows client which has no limitations on size the web client has

as ACD is not supported in Asia the last time i looked a couple of weeks ago your plan my require adjusting - so check the fine print before you fly as you might have to bring back a full HDD : :)

Just now - usually more like 10 during the day

I have  150/25, I live in San Diego (the USA), but i'm paying for a business line. (I could have 300+/10- for much cheaper, with blocked ports and data caps). 

As for speeds, things like chunk size, minimum download size, the number of upload/download threads, which ISP you're using and which provider you're using can all affect this signfiicantly. 

For instance, I've heard that people on Google Fiber can't upload to google services at higher than 10mbps anyways.  Which is crazy, when you consider they have gigabit connectivity. 

Aarhus, Denmark here. 1gbit/1gbit

Getting ~300-400 mbit upload and ~200-300 mbit download currently with Google Drive at 20 MB chunks. Prior we did have 100 MB chunks for a very short time, where i could utilize ~950 mbit upload and ~600-700 mbit download (miss that ;) )

Amazon is giving me similar results.

Speed issues currently is caused by the HTTP response time which often is between 5000-15000ms, therefore eventhough the actual transfer is done in a partial of a second, the actual http response wait time is causing it to seem as a way slower transfer.

The User Rate Exceeded is also a quite common error in my logs

Aarhus, Denmark here. 1gbit/1gbit

Getting ~300-400 mbit upload and ~200-300 mbit download currently with Google Drive at 20 MB chunks. Prior we did have 100 MB chunks for a very short time, where i could utilize ~950 mbit upload and ~600-700 mbit download (miss that ;) )

Amazon is giving me similar results.

Speed issues currently is caused by the HTTP response time which often is between 5000-15000ms, therefore eventhough the actual transfer is done in a partial of a second, the actual http response wait time is causing it to seem as a way slower transfer.

The User Rate Exceeded is also a quite common error in my logs

Tak! I'm moving to DK! :)

You're welcome here :D Being a small country has its benefits regarding infrastructure :D - You would hate our high taxes though! But we are the happiest country in the world for a reason :D

Yeah, but IIRC, the electricity prices for you are ... pretty high (at least compared to the US). 

In addition to the taxes. :)

Though, seriously, I'd kill for cheap symmetrical gigabit internet speeds. 

Yeah, but IIRC, the electricity prices for you are ... pretty high (at least compared to the US). 

In addition to the taxes. :)

Though, seriously, I'd kill for cheap symmetrical gigabit internet speeds. 

But atleast it is green energy :-D

But yea nice internet speeds are nice - and they are cheap and uncapped

But atleast it is green energy :-D

But yea nice internet speeds are nice - and they are cheap and uncapped

LOL. Mine is 100% green too. Solar power. :) 

Also, between the AC and ... datacenter, the solar has already paid for itself. Which is also nice. :)

(if you notice, I live in San Diego, where it's always sunny and warm... the joke that it's hot enough to fry an egg on the sidewalk during christmas .... isn't far from the truth)

But nice internet speeds for "dirt cheap" and uncapped is a dream for me. :(

Especially as Google Fiber is probably not going to be rolled out anymore.

I had mostly been testing with ACD (with a custom dev limited security profile), and have only recently been trying Google Drive instead - speeds are far superior on the latter. Google traffic seems to go through Sydney, so its also a lot closer than Amazon (I'm in NZ - Amazon data goes to the US). Granted its more expensive ($10 vs $5 /mo), but its probably worth it for the speed and reliability - files on Amazon seem to have a very small chance to randomly disappear altogether.

NZ is making great progress in net speeds - so long as youre not rural - Gigabit speeds are now available in a lot of places - you can get uncapped/unthrottled/unshaped 1000/500 for $130NZD ($95USD)/mo.

LOL. Mine is 100% green too. Solar power. :)

Also, between the AC and ... datacenter, the solar has already paid for itself. Which is also nice. :)

(if you notice, I live in San Diego, where it's always sunny and warm... the joke that it's hot enough to fry an egg on the sidewalk during christmas .... isn't far from the truth)

But nice internet speeds for "dirt cheap" and uncapped is a dream for me. :(

Especially as Google Fiber is probably not going to be rolled out anymore.

I bet i could barely power my bed lamp with solar power here :D Guess that is why we went to Wind Power - makes a lot more sense here with our shitty weather :)

I've seen those videoes with people doing barbecue in the sun and using their car as an oven for cookies - hope to get to see San Diego within the next few years myself though - i know the US has a whole different idea of what a King Size meal is compared to here, so pretty much food heaven! 

I had mostly been testing with ACD (with a custom dev limited security profile), and have only recently been trying Google Drive instead - speeds are far superior on the latter. Google traffic seems to go through Sydney, so its also a lot closer than Amazon (I'm in NZ - Amazon data goes to the US). Granted its more expensive ($10 vs $5 /mo), but its probably worth it for the speed and reliability - files on Amazon seem to have a very small chance to randomly disappear altogether.

NZ is making great progress in net speeds - so long as youre not rural - Gigabit speeds are now available in a lot of places - you can get uncapped/unthrottled/unshaped 1000/500 for $130NZD ($95USD)/mo.

Yeah, I don't thing that ACD is officially supported worldwide yet, so that makes sense. 

However, yes, Google Drive is probably going to be more stable in general... 

As for internet, I'm very jealous. I'm paying almost twice that amount for a tenth of that speed... though I could pay much less for a residential account ... but then I'd have blocked ports and a data cap. 

I bet i could barely power my bed lamp with solar power here :D Guess that is why we went to Wind Power - makes a lot more sense here with our shitty weather :)

I've seen those videoes with people doing barbecue in the sun and using their car as an oven for cookies - hope to get to see San Diego within the next few years myself though - i know the US has a whole different idea of what a King Size meal is compared to here, so pretty much food heaven! 

Well, it really depends on the weather and time of year.  But yeah, not optimal.   

I live in San Diego. I can count on one hand the number of cloudy/overcast days we get... let alone how often it rains. :)

Perfect for solar, and if we had a battery farm (even more expensive than the solar panels, ironically), we could go completely "off the grid", at least for power. :)

And yeah, solar ovens and the like totally work here. :) 

And yeah, it's been 30+C during the winter here (well, pretty regularly)....

As for food, I'm not sure about the portion size (though I'll totally believe you) but San Diego is a fantastic place for food! :)

I read a while back that tesla were doing some sort of battery farm for the home user - batteries more expensive than solar panels - lol - thats nuts!

Well, the individual batteries are not that expensive.  But it's the fact that you will need a LOT of batteries to maintain enough power for the residence during the night time.  And that adds up very quickly. 

Worse is that some city ordinances prevent you from fully disconnecting from the grid, apparently. Meaning that you're not "allowed" to, even if you want. 

Also, you need a fuse/circuit breaker box that allows you to backfeed the power like this, as well. And that's expensive as well.