Files gone missing after switching PC

Lawdie

Question

Hi,

Any idea how i can recover my files, prior to me detaching the drive from my laptop it was full populated and uploaded. After attaching it to my main PC many files have gone missing (aren't visible in file explorer) They are still on amazon as my Drive size has not decreased but since they are encrypted they are useless. When I detached it from my main PC back to my laptop the files had also gone missing on there as well. Windows seems to think there are many files as the space used on the drive is also correct.

Any ideas how I can get these files to be visible since they are still on amazon.

It took me forever to everything uploaded Ill have drop everything and look at alternative storage systems if there is no way to make them visible again.

4 answers to this question

If the drive is mounting on the new system, then everything is "working properly". 

As for the missing files, I'm not sure, and that can be very hard to trace after the fact. 

However, before doing ANYTHING else, I'd highly recommend running some sort of data recovery on the drive (such as TestDisk and PhotoRec) to see if it can find any data. 

Also, if you have more than one drive, make sure you have the correct drive mounted. 

Additionally, if the other system is still "up and running" (eg, you haven't wiped it),  could you grab the logs from both systems?

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_CloudDrive_Logs

Is it possible that the cache on your main PC was older and basically overrided what was in the cloud? I think this happened to me when I went through basically the same scenario. Can't be sure. I |fixed| it myself by basically going back to what is your laptop in this scenario and re-uploaded its cache while also deleting the cache manually on my main PC.

Is it possible that the cache on your main PC was older and basically overrided what was in the cloud? I think this happened to me when I went through basically the same scenario. Can't be sure. I |fixed| it myself by basically going back to what is your laptop in this scenario and re-uploaded its cache while also deleting the cache manually on my main PC.

I submitted a ticket with logs hopefully they find a solution, My drive has shrunk down to the size of all the visible files now on both devices (Missing files are missing on both machines) My drive is still the correct size logging into amazons web interface so the data hasn't actually been deleted