Files show at command prompt but not in Explorer

JazzMan

Question

Hm.  Have been using DrivePool for 3+ years pretty successfully.

System Win 7 x64 Sp1.

DP ver 2.2.0.651 Beta

No recent system updates (win auto update is off)

No special user permissions on files, and none have the hidden attribute set.

Explorer options are set to show me everything--hidden files, system files, extensions, yadda, yadda

I ran the following command in a batch file from a command prompt to move files from a set of subirectories up to their parent;

For /R "Photo" %%F In ("*.jpg") Do If Not Exist "Photo\%%~nxF" move "%%F" "Photo\%%~nxF"

I ran this and got log messages saying each file was moved, but when I looked in Explorer, the parent folder is empty (<scared>), nor in the subdirectories.  However, if at a command prompt I do a dir in the parent folder I do see the files.

I tried rebooting but that did not make the files appear.

Any ideas on how to get the files to appear?

I routinely do a lot of file manipulation in both bat files and the GUI and this seems to be the first time this has happened.  Any idea why?  About the only difference here is when I do FOR it is usually not with the /R switch.

Cheers,

David

5 answers to this question

Well, I did mention in OP that rebooting didn't help.  Nonetheless, after porting I created another directory and moved the files to it at the command prompt and can see those in Explorer.  Just a bit confused as what could have happened, as rebooting didn't help.  What path to the file system does the command prompt use that is different from the Windows GUI?  That's rhetorical, no need to respond.

Could you download and install the latest beta and see if that helps? 

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/StableBit.DrivePool_2.2.0.727_x64_BETA.exe

There are a number of fixes that may resolve the issue, actually. And I believe this issue specifically. 

As for why the command prompt works better than explorer? It's all in how it handles the directory output and how it caches it. 

I had the same problem as well a while back.  I didn't go through the exhaustive effort to find out what it was but I did narrow it down to files on my pool.  If I created a file on my OS drive (SSD), it would show up in search and when I opened up File Explorer.

When I created the same file on my pool it would not show up in File Explorer but would show up in search?

I had the same problem as well a while back.  I didn't go through the exhaustive effort to find out what it was but I did narrow it down to files on my pool.  If I created a file on my OS drive (SSD), it would show up in search and when I opened up File Explorer.

When I created the same file on my pool it would not show up in File Explorer but would show up in search?

This issue was fixed in the 2.2.0.683 build (it was an issue with how we were querying directories). 

* [D] [Issue #27165] When a useless (redundant) call buffer came back from a directory listing, it was not being reissued. 
	This created a small opportunity for a directory listing to stop prematurely. This did not affect non-duplicated 
	folders.

However, if you want to use a recent build, I'd recommend the 2.2.0.727 build, linked above.