Amazon - Gives others problems to

Spider99

Question

15 answers to this question

I like Emby better.  I have a lifetime pass for both, but I feel that Emby provides a better experience overall.  The downside is that Plex does a better job of transcoding (using less CPU cycles to get similar quality).  

But yeah, I've heard reports of people losing their accounts, but these are rumor quality. No proof to back them up. 

i evaluated Emby vs Plex for a couple of months and went with Emby

more versatile, respond to requests, on the dev cycle get update twice a day, does not force you as much to do things there way the only way etc

as for transcoding not notice the difference Emby uses ffmpeg - does Plex? if so can only be a setting difference or version diff of fmpeg

I like Emby better.  I have a lifetime pass for both, but I feel that Emby provides a better experience overall.  The downside is that Plex does a better job of transcoding (using less CPU cycles to get similar quality).  

But yeah, I've heard reports of people losing their accounts, but these are rumor quality. No proof to back them up. 

Emby supports quicksync and NVENC transcoding (2 stream limit on consumer cards, 4 on Quadros), and possibly soon VCE, where as Plex does not.  Emby also allows you to control your playback on your clients so you can have direct play if your device supports it.  It's what makes those $30 cheap chinese boxes so awesome.  Heck it's what will make the Xaoimi Android box from Walmart so awesome.  Install SPMC and use it as an external player and you have full DTS Passthrough, not DTS-HDMA or Tru-DTS though, and definitely not ATMOS.  For those you need a shield.  But again Plex does not offer this option.  Plex users always seem to complain that their servers are not powerful enough because Plex sucks balls at direct playing content.  The only clients I have that transcode are my 2 Roku users and 1 Apple TV 4.  The rest use Android and direct play EVERYTHING.  10bit HEVC is wonderful for bandwidth saving.

Weird that it was denied - it looks similar to Arq (encrypted backups with deduplication etc), which is even listed in their app gallery page.

Bizarre.  

Though, it maybe the API usage that was "out of line" or some such.  

No idea. 

i evaluated Emby vs Plex for a couple of months and went with Emby

more versatile, respond to requests, on the dev cycle get update twice a day, does not force you as much to do things there way the only way etc

as for transcoding not notice the difference Emby uses ffmpeg - does Plex? if so can only be a setting difference or version diff of fmpeg

Emby uses ffmpeg, and Plex is beleived to use a heavily customized version of ffmpeg.

Also, the profile used for transcoding can make a difference, and the beta versions of Emby have a LOT more options about this.  So that may be a moot point now. 

As for features, yeah, it's much nicer.  CoverArt is fantastic.  They had DVR/PVR support years before Plex, I believe.  

Also, user management.  I can create users on my server that can be used outside the local network!!!  Last time I checked, Plex doesn't let you do that. Not without creating plex pass accounts for EACH user. 

Emby supports quicksync and NVENC transcoding (2 stream limit on consumer cards, 4 on Quadros), and possibly soon VCE, where as Plex does not.  Emby also allows you to control your playback on your clients so you can have direct play if your device supports it.  It's what makes those $30 cheap chinese boxes so awesome.  Heck it's what will make the Xaoimi Android box from Walmart so awesome.  Install SPMC and use it as an external player and you have full DTS Passthrough, not DTS-HDMA or Tru-DTS though, and definitely not ATMOS.  For those you need a shield.  But again Plex does not offer this option.  Plex users always seem to complain that their servers are not powerful enough because Plex sucks balls at direct playing content.  The only clients I have that transcode are my 2 Roku users and 1 Apple TV 4.  The rest use Android and direct play EVERYTHING.  10bit HEVC is wonderful for bandwidth saving.

Yeah, but I've had weird issues with the GPU transcoding.... 

So I bought a dual LGA 1366 system, and swapped out CPUs for two X5660's.  24 threads of overkill. :) 

As I've said, I've had a lot better experience start to finish with Emby than I ever had with Plex. It's just a better product. 

And that's using the web client primarily!

Try emby Theater its coming along nicely and has directshow/quicksync etc support having the kinks worked out

I actually do.  :) 

Well, it gets used, but I'm not usually the one using it. 

Also, the XBOX One app is fantastic (it's basically just Emby Theater for the xbox). :)

ps4 Emby i think might be coming for me - i have too many ways to watch already :)

got side tracked and ended up getting a new phone today - Xperia X to replace my Z2

You can never have too much tech :)

Well, Emby support DLNA, so you can watch it that way.  :) 

Though as for too much tech, my family disagrees. :P

Well, that would be idea, yes.  But "in the meanwhile", it's a solution that would work. 

Maybe it might be the encryption they don't like :) Most likely Amazon want to be able to monitor all the content they host :)

I don't think so. Other solutions are using encryption as well (such as acd_cli/rclone/etc).   

My guess is that the API usage was not "within desired parameters" and Duplicati didn't want to (or couldn't significantly) change to accommodate them. 

But that's only a guess. 

Well, that would be idea, yes.  But "in the meanwhile", it's a solution that would work. 

I don't think so. Other solutions are using encryption as well (such as acd_cli/rclone/etc).   

My guess is that the API usage was not "within desired parameters" and Duplicati didn't want to (or couldn't significantly) change to accommodate them. 

But that's only a guess. 

Let's hope :)