Smart Warning Email Received but HDD OK?

logbit

Question

I got an email alert this morning at 09:30. I only picked it up at 16:00.

The email said:

StableBit Scanner S.M.A.R.T. Failure on 'HAPC' One or more disks are expected to fail within 24 hours:

• Corsair Force 3 SSD

So, I looked at the PC and it is telling me that all is OK (see below)

post-315-0-89146400-1380554650_thumb.png

Not sure what is going on here - do I need to worry?

8 answers to this question

Well, from the looks of the SMART data, it looks like everything is fine. It may have been an issue with the SMART data that was being reported, but cleared up.

If this happens again, or frequently, I'd definitely look into the drive's health (download the manufacturer's tools, and verify the health), and maybe check the cables (make sure they're not loose or damaged)

I just had a similar thing happen.  I've just upgraded my server from WHS v1 to WHS v2.  In the process I've also switched from FlexRAID RAID-F snapshot to FlexRAID tRAID, so my parity had to be rebuilt.  During the process, one of my drives started getting errors.  I removed it & put it in my client PC and ran a full chkdsk + surface scan on it.  It came back clean from that, but I also queried it with Crystaldisk, and I could swear I saw 200 reallocated sectors on it.  I put it back in the server, and re-created the parity without issue.  I also got Stablebit Scanner set up, and let it start scanning the drives again.  Strangely, both Stablebit and Flexraid show no reallocated sectors on the drive now.  I got an email this morning that a Samsung HD204 is expected to fail within 24hrs.  That's the same model as the drive I had to pull, though I don't know for SURE it's the same drive I had problems with yesterday, as I have a couple of that model.  But looking at Stablebit on the server, both of them still seem fine.   :huh:

Well, then that seems to be a SMART reporting issue on the drives. Unfortunately, there isn't much us, or any other software can do about that.

And if the disk did have 200 reallocated sectors and it's saying it's not now..... that's disconcerting, and I would recommend RMAing them, just in case. Better safe than sorry.

I have both read reports of, and experienced myself, drives "fixing" their own SMART records re bad sectors. Whether this is because the drive is correcting a false positive, or because the drive firmware thinks you don't need to know that it used up some undocumented "slack space" to cover for the bad sectors, or some other reason, I've no idea and can only speculate.

I've just had this happen again on another drive:  Got an email saying a drive was expected to fail within 24hrs, but nothing concerning in the dashboard.  In this case, I have four of the drives that correspond to the same model that the email is referring to:  two of them the dashboard says there's no indication of any problems, the other two it says it's not predicting any immanent disk failure, but some SMART attributes are showing signs the disk could be failing.  The only SMART issues are some reallocated sectors:  1 on one of them, and 6 on the other.  In both cases, those sectors were reallocated when the drives were relatively new, about 3 years ago.  I don't understand why I'm getting these "the sky is falling' emails, then everything seems fine in the dashboard.

As far as the first drive, I'm not sure what to think about that one.  In my initial panic I pulled the drive and started testing it on my client PC, where I didn't have any SMART software.  I downloaded Crystaldisk, and THOUGHT I saw 200 reallocated sectors, but that was the only time.  So I'm not sure if it has changed, or if I just mis-read it.  Since the emails don't provide a S/N, I'm not even certain that "failing within 24hrs" email was referring to the same drive.

dscline,

Unfortunately, the issue may be a simple as the drive changing the SMART data on us. Or it could be that the drive has triggered it's internal error correction and fixed some of the issues, causing the data to change, etc.

Could you download the newest beta of Scanner?

http://dl.covecube.com/ScannerWindows/beta/download/

http://dl.covecube.com/ScannerWhs2/beta/download/

It should be 2.5.0.2978. 

This version has a lot more detailed logging, and if it happens again, it could catch it.

However, to enable this logging, you need to open up Scanner, and open the "Scanner Settings". There shoudl be a new "Enable advanced settings" checkbox on the general tab. CHeck that and close the window. In the Settings drop down list, there should be a new "Advanced Settings" box. Open that, and in the list it displays, find "SmartDiskInfo" and click on it. Then select the "Verbose" option and hit "OK".

This will dump all the SMART data to the log files so we can see what is going on. However, this can cause the log to grow large, very fast.

Also, if you restart the service, or reboot the system it will revert to the previous state (to prevent it from filling the disk with log files).