Does Windows 10 support automatically mean Windows Server 2016 support?

Philmatic

Question

With Windows Server 2016 RTM right around the corner, I am re-evaluating my server software and looking to upgrade whenever possible.

Do the improvements in DrivePool to support Windows 10 extend automatically to Windows Server 2016? I would imagine they would considering the shared kernel, but I just wanted to make sure. Has this been tested?

14 answers to this question

Windows Server 2016 is using the same kernel (or very, very similar) as Windows 10.   It's the server version of Windows 10, specifically. 

However, just like Windows 10, any version of our software will run on it without problem.   However, the 2.2.0.651 version should work better. 

I haven't tested the RTM version yet, but I've tested a few of the preview releases, and had absolute no issue.  

In fact, it works on the nano version too! (though, it's a pain to get installed if you're not familiar with command line stuff).

How ready for production use is 2.2.0.651? I'm a bit hesitant using a beta release on my pool.

well I am installing Server 2016 and Essentials role at this moment. I see there is a built in pool now and going to add my own question...

but I too am hoping this is ready...

Windows Server 2016 uses the same kernel and SDK as Windows 10

All of the Public Beta builds are compiled using the Windows 10 SDK.  

Additionally, both the stable and release versions have been using on Windows 10 for a while, with no reported issues (other than some on Insider builds, but quickly corrected by Microsoft). 

If you check the build number of the GA version of Windows Server 2016, it is the same as the Windows 10 Aniversary Update, IIRC. 

So, again, you should have ABSOLUTELY NO ISSUES. 

Also, the software works fine on both the Essentials version (grab the "WHS2011" of Scanner), and the "generic" version work on the "Nano" installs as well (it's a bit more difficult to install, ask if you need help). 

I hope its not an issue with me asking a question here for drashna... I'm running server 2012 R2 essentials trial edition and saving up for the oem licence... is it worth staying on 2012r2 or I'm debating getting 2016 essentials instead... this means full reinstall and ill need help I'm sure.. on a good note.. 2012r2 is running smooth for I think 1 year without a reload... but if I'm purchasing the os I would prefer the latest edition... any thoughts are appreciated....

So for the people that installed 2016 Essentials.  Did you just upgrade your existing OS?   Did you take any precautions?  StableBit just worked after the OS install?

I have 2012 Essentials.

Essentials is a domain controller, and Microsoft HIGHLY recommends that you migrate (eg run two systems, add the new system to the domain, and then decommission the old system).  

In place upgrades can BREAK the server and domain. 

If no systems are joined to the domain, then a Clean Install is recommended instead.

AKA, Microsoft does not recommend upgrades for servers. 

I hope its not an issue with me asking a question here for drashna... I'm running server 2012 R2 essentials trial edition and saving up for the oem licence... is it worth staying on 2012r2 or I'm debating getting 2016 essentials instead... this means full reinstall and ill need help I'm sure.. on a good note.. 2012r2 is running smooth for I think 1 year without a reload... but if I'm purchasing the os I would prefer the latest edition... any thoughts are appreciated....

if you're on 2012R2 Essentials, then I'd recommend sticking with it.  It works, and there isn't a huge change in features here. 

The big change is the underlying OS to the Windows 10/Server 2016 base. 

And that's mostly UI changes. 

The biggest changes I've seen: 

• Windows 10 ADK for the client restore stuff.
  • Windows Defender on the server 
  • Moving the "Safe mode settings" into the dashboard
  • Can act as a secondary domain controller
  • Windows 10 base

Are these worth paying $500-600 for? IMO? No.

I'm not sure about the cores thing, though I have an idea of what it's talking about. 

You should be fine with that hardware.

And your Xeon doesn't have hyperthreading? 

As for the cores thing, I beleive that's the licensing limit for the number of cores. Eg, you cannot have more than 8. 

its a quad core xeon with hyperthreading.. also i was looking on technet for the download of the eval edition and im wondering why there no version for usb flash drives.. if you guys no of a usb option so i dont need to use dvd r it would be great..

its 4 core and 8 thread sorry for the typo

its a quad core xeon with hyperthreading.. also i was looking on technet for the download of the eval edition and im wondering why there no version for usb flash drives.. if you guys no of a usb option so i dont need to use dvd r it would be great..

its 4 core and 8 thread sorry for the typo

Ah, okay. 

As for the download, there isn't a USB option. 

If you mean installing via USB, you can use this: 

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

If you mean running from USB, that's a lot more complicated.