File version history for ransomware protection?

dannybuoy

Question

Anybody tried any solutions to this? I like the idea of having everything fully offline from a single provider, encrypted, and versioned with no need for Crashplan or external backups.

Built-in file history for Windows shares might work but modern cryptoware apparently trashes the backups before encrypting.

One idea I had is Cloudberry backup - this could read from CloudDrive hooked up to an unlimited Amazon Cloud Drive account (once it's all working properly) then write encrypted versioned backups directly back to the same cloud provider!

4 answers to this question

I currently use Google Drive as my provider and they provide 30 days of revisions with the option to increase that. In the event of an incident I would just call them up and request a rollback to X hours/days ago. 

For backups you can look into Duplicati, Duplicity or Veeam Endpoint Backup and many other solutions. I currently use the Veeam offering and am very satisfied by the incremental backups.

I also use windows file history, to another CloudDrive, but that is for protection against my own stupidity.

Keeping backups in the way you described becomes mighty space hungry if you store any amount of data (Over 3TB in my case).

In the end the best protection from ransoware is not running random .exes and clicking fishy links.

Ah of course, but there is always the possibility of getting something via 0-day exploits from a hijacked site, so it's for piece of mind really. I didn't know that about Google Drive, as far as I know OneDrive do not support the same feature.

If you're exceptionally paranoid, getting a UTM or gateway device may be a great idea. Such as Sophos UTM, pfSense or Untangle (probably the most "noob friendly").  It may not stop 0-day exploits, but it may help with them, and make web browsing safer. 

Well, Duplicati appears to work fine, even when backing up to the same cloud that CloudDrive is attached to. I tested a small batch of different types of media and was pretty impressed with the speeds - might be a different story with a large library however!