Unreadable files in the pool

pettakos

Question

I am currently running 11 disks in my pool, mixed capacities, drivepool version 2.1.1.561, Win 8.1 pro, os drive Intel 120gb ssd.

So far, no problems at all.

I recently realized that there was a problem with one of my drives a WD30EZRX, or at least I thought it was.

When trying to access some files located in the pool, this was not possible, and the specific drive was continuously being accessed, as if it was trying to read from it and couldn't. The same happened when trying to move the file outside of the pool. I double checked cables, data and power, swapped them with different ones, the behavior was the same.  All the disks have been double checked both with hard disk sentinel and either Seatools or WD datalifeguard. No problems there. All of them healthy.

I then assigned a drive letter to the specific disk, the unreadable files were in the folders of the poolpart hidden folder, but there was also another folder named .covefs/reparse. I thought that this caused the problem. Of course I didn't do anything before consultation. What I did, was to remove the disk with the usual process, all went smoothly. The pool remained with the rest of the disks. now, these unreadable files were apparently moved to another disk, which by the way, had this folder .covefs/reparse when assigned drive letters to it and was able to check the hidden poolpart folder contents. Perhaps these files are corrupt somehow.

Any help appreciated as to how to deal with it.

8 answers to this question

the .covefs folder is fine. It's on at least 3 disks, but it can get moved around, and that's fine.

As for the read error, did you delete folders? Or move them? 

And is this issue still occurring? 

If so, could you install this version and see if it helps?

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/StableBit.DrivePool_2.2.0.651_x64_BETA.exe

The issue is actually still occurring. It's not the first time that I either moved or deleted folders or files.

I've been running the pool on this stable version for a long time with no issues so far.

Is it safe to install the beta version? If sth weird happens, can I go back to the stable one?

Okay, then please do install the beta version.

And yes, the beta version is safe to use. THis is the public beta build specifically, and has been out for a while. 

There are newer, if you *really* want, but it sounds like probably not.

And if you do have issues, you absolutely can downgrade without any issues.

I installed the beta version, the pool is ok, but still I am having the same issues.

The files that are in the specific hard disk are not readable, when I try to copy them to another location outside of the pool, it goes so slow, that is practically impossible to either copy or move them.

I also disabled all balancers just to make sure the reason why the hdd is constantly being accessed while trying to open a file.

Again I checked the disk, no symptoms of decay.

The files that are in the specific hard disk are not readable, when I try to copy them to another location outside of the pool, it goes so slow, that is practically impossible to either copy or move them.

So they're not readable on the pool.  And outside of the pool, it takes a long time to access the files? 

If so, this sounds like it's a hardware issue, and that you may have a bad drive (even if it's not showing that in SMART). 

In this case, I'd recommend removing the specific drive from the pool and see if that helps. 

if that isn't the case, then please enable file system logging, and reproduce the issue.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

Thanks for the assistance Christopher, issue has been solved, hard drive is ok, perhaps some data cable has been disconnected from the os drive, and since this was the first drive that was added to the pool a long time ago, it was changed into MBR instead to GPT, without my intervention, and apparently that caused its strange behavior. I learned it the hard way.

Thanks for the assistance Christopher, issue has been solved, hard drive is ok, perhaps some data cable has been disconnected from the os drive, and since this was the first drive that was added to the pool a long time ago, it was changed into MBR instead to GPT, without my intervention, and apparently that caused its strange behavior. I learned it the hard way.

A loose data cable could absolutely do that.  I've actually had that issue (and I've burned out cables ....)

As for the drive, it shouldn't change, as the data structure is very different. But it may have been MBR and advanced format by default.  

Either way, if everything is working fine now, that's good. 

If the issue comes back, let us know.