Question regarding Cleaning up and Cache

Gbyrd

Question

When you opt to clean up a drive what exactly does it do? For example I have the cloudbit drive on M:\ if i delete something in the drive is it automatically removed from my G Drive? Or do i have to run the cleanup to get it to be removed sort of to "sync" the drives.

Also one last thing is the cache, when i copy and paste a bunch of files in my M: Drive, if i go beyond the size of the cache will it still be uploading? Just curious how that works if i am able to queue up more than the cache size for the upload.

5 answers to this question

By "G Drive", do you mean Google Drive? 

Also, Alex has a great writeup on how the cache works: http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/1610-how-the-stablebit-clouddrive-cache-works/

Yeah i meant google drive, I had an issue occur where my computer shut off randomly, and the hard drive started a recovery. Now when the recovery finished it now has to upload EVERYTHING that i had already uploaded before. Is this normal?

Figured out everything, important to clear local cache as it is uploaded cause a crash will cause it to reupload everything!

When the system experiences an unplanned/unsafe shutdown, it does recheck the entire cache. This is because we can't trust it currently, because it *may* be damaged.  

What you're seeing is normal, and necessary, unfortunately.  (unfortunately, because disks are not as stable as they could/should be.

Hi, similar issue for me too.  Computer had a unexpected shutdown (power outage).

Now it's back, but my Google Drives are 'Performing Recovery'.

I have a 600GB local cache on one, and a 500GB local cache on the other.

Any way to get these drives mounted quicker? Or is it now going to try and upload/download all 1.1TB worth of data to verify the local cahce? Is there a way to dump this cache, since it's just a cache?

Thanks,

Albert

The problem is with sudden/unexpected power loss is that it can corrupt the cached data. We can't trust it, until we've verified it.  That's what you're seeing when the "recovery" is occurring. 

We could skip this, but every time you lose power, you risk significant data corruption.