Drivepool and Drive letters - maximum number of drives?

Spider99

Question

Hi

Just trying out Drivepool and first question i have is Drive letters and what happens when you run out of them

I am building a large storage/backup server and its likely i will add more than 20 hdd 

Just experimenting with 4 hdd plus OS drive - created a pool which is assigned a drive letter but also the four drives that make up the pool are also assigned drive letters

The drives were not assigned drive letters before adding to the pool (un-formatted)

So what happens when you want multiple pools and have a large number of drives - do you have to use mount points?

Currently i am testing on win7 64bit

Any pointers or advice would be good

Thanks

5 answers to this question

StableBit DrivePool doesn't care about drive letters.  It uses the Volume ID (which Windows mounts to a drive letter or folder path). 

So you can remove the drive letters, if you want, or mount to a folder path. 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q6811286

or not mount them at all appears to work fine as well :) - swapped to win 10 pro 64bit now - as clean install the mount points were lost but drivepool picked the drives up on reinstall without re mounting them

just have the os drive and a test pool working well so far - interesting watching the pool fill up for the first time and turned on duplication half way through a backup job - handled very well by the app :)

its also interesting to see that in task manager the "pool" has no disk activity reported while the underlying disks are running around moving data - i assume this is normal?

or not mount them at all appears to work fine as well :) - swapped to win 10 pro 64bit now - as clean install the mount points were lost but drivepool picked the drives up on reinstall without re mounting them

just have the os drive and a test pool working well so far - interesting watching the pool fill up for the first time and turned on duplication half way through a backup job - handled very well by the app :)

Yes, you can do that, too.  

However, I generally prefer and recommend mounting to a folder, for ease of access.

It's much easier to run "chkdsk c:\drives\pool1\disk5", than "chkdsk \\?\Volume{GUID}"... and easier to identify. ;)

its also interesting to see that in task manager the "pool" has no disk activity reported while the underlying disks are running around moving data - i assume this is normal?

Yes. The actually pool is handled by a kernel mode driver, meaning that the activity is passed on directly to the disks, basically. 

Meaning, you don't see it listed in task manager, like a normal program.