Reliable Client Backup Solutions

Avtechman

Question

I'm trying to determine what would be a good backup solution to backup all of my Windows 7 machines to one server. Basically, I am trying to decide what server OS to install on my new smaller server build, that will also run DrivePool and Scanner. I've read that Windows Server 2012 R2 would be ideal, but I'm wondering to install the Essential version or the Standard and install 3rd party backup software, like Paragon Backup and Recovery, etc. The Essential version has the client backup feature but of course doesn't support XP clients (but WHS 2011 does). I have two XP machines that I use for analog video capture and the best hardware was made in the XP era, so necessitates backing those up too.

I may use the SM board I have along with the Xeon E31230 v2 for this setup.

The main thing with the WS2012 is that it forces itself as a domain controller, which I don't need at this time. However I would like the ability to be able to utilize a print server so any machine in the house can print to it. I'm sure there are other uses but haven't looked into them yet. With this server box I plan to run Emby, JRiver for music streaming and of course storage for all my media collection. 

What are you guys using for a backup scheme (for clients) on your servers?

3 answers to this question

I'm a huge fan of Macrium Reflect.  It will do drive images and/or file/folder backups.  Lots of built in plans with retention maintenance.  Pretty much set it and forget it.  I use it to backup all of my Client drives to my server.  I use Crashplan to push my data offsite.  It also has a local backup option but I have not tried that.  

I'm a huge fan of Macrium Reflect.  It will do drive images and/or file/folder backups.  Lots of built in plans with retention maintenance.  Pretty much set it and forget it.  I use it to backup all of my Client drives to my server.  I use Crashplan to push my data offsite.  It also has a local backup option but I have not tried that.  

Cool I will look into that. Haven't looked into offsite backup options yet but can probably get some external drives to backup too for offsite storage.