Slow Copying speed after Fast Copying

Damionix

Question

Hello there, 

I am having a very peculiar issue here with Drivepool. I have a stand alone hard drive ( let's call it D:), that I use to download stuff to, rename it, and then copy it to my Pool (F:). When I started using drivepool, the copying speeds used to fluctuated between 80-300MBPS. But after a few months of using it, it starts at about 1.2GBPS and drops to a low low 9MBPS and stays there for the whole copying. Needless to say this takes me a lot more time to copy huge files. Like it took me 2hrs 15 mins to copy a 75GB TV Show. That is quite unusual. That should have been done in less than 20 minutes in normal copying time. 

Is there something I have done in my settings that could have caused this? Attached is a screenshot of my Balancing settings. 

Any help is appreciated. I go through at least 200GB of file manipulation a week. 

Just to add, Stablebit Scanner reports all the drives as being fine.

Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks.

post-2551-0-95185600-1473432695_thumb.jpg

Have you checked your event logs for any warnings being thrown?

Something doesn't make sense to me though, you said if you copy directly to the disk, bypassing using DrivePool, you still get slow speeds, yet you still think DrivePool is the issue? Have you just uninstalled DrivePool and then seen if you still have slowness to those disks? There should be no real harm to doing this, and re-adding your disks to a pool after you re-install, other then if you had significant amounts of file shares on the aggregate disk.

Copying directly to the pool disks would bypass any DrivePool involvement, so this seems to me to exclude DrivePool as the problem and suggests either cabling, controller, or disk problems. You can even go the extra step of temporarily stopping your drivepool service and seeing if you still have the slow performance directly to disk. 

How old are your disks?

Have you re-seated your cables/checked them?  Did you do the copy test directly to each disk in the pool, i.e. do they all exhibit slowness?  You have significant external USB disks, if you swap an internal disk and an external disk, does slowness on the previously internal disk go-away and does the disk that was USB now appear slow? If you pop task manager and resource monitor, and do a large copy, do you see anything unusual happening (excessively high CPU, or in resource monitor, processes that are touching the files you are copying)?

Boot safe mode and copy some files around between pool disks, still show performance problems?

I will do my best to try out all you have suggested and get you all the answers here. And my disk are all about a year old or less. Quite new and all still in Warranty. I will try all you have suggested and come back to you with an answer. 

Definitely check the Event Viewer  for issues. Specifically, the "System" section.  If you're seeing disk, ntfs or controller related errors, you may have a disk problem, actually. 

Additionally, try using "StableBit Scanner" and it's "Burst Test".  The Burst test is designed to stress test the bus to the drive. That means the storage controller (and the PCI-e connection), the SATA cable itself, and the drive's controller/firmware.  It does this be re-requesting the same bit of data over and over and over. This means that there is almost no actual activity (eg, no read heads moving), as the data will be kept in the drive's internal cache. 

If this has issues, then there is a communication issue with the drive (and this will also show up in the event viewer logs, usually). 

Additionally, in StableBit Scanner, right click on the column header. You'll get a bunch of additional options for columns. Enable "Performance" and "Disk Queue" specifically.  If you see a high value for the disk queue, this may indicate a problem with the drive

The queue "length" is the number of pending I/O requests, and generally shouldn't exceed 1 per platter, so 2-3 for a majority of drives.  If this is higher than that, and for a prolonged period of time, the disk is being "over worked" and will contribute to poor performance. 

Furthermore, antivirus, backup and other software can contribute to this. All use "file system filters" to intercept (and modify) reads and writes.  These can sometimes (frequently) cause issues, especially if they're poorly designed. 

Worst case here, if you have a ticket (at the "contact" site), let me know the Contact ID (either reply to it, PM me it, or post the ID number here).   Alex is actively going through StableBit DrivePool issues, so we should get to it sooner rather than later. 

If you don't have a ticket, open one here: https://stablebit.com/Contact

Also, do this: 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

and

http://dl.covecube.com/Troubleshooter/StableBit.Troubleshooter.exe