A Few Q's Regarding PC Changes/Drive Moving

Mavol

Question

Hello Covecube!

I'm loving this piece of software and can't wait to utilize it. I plan on purchasing, but I need to find a provider first, I'd prefer Amazon Cloud Drive due to the really nice low cost, but if that doesn't work I"ll most likely be using Google Drive I believe, because I'd like to have up to 8-10 TB if possible for my storage.

I realize that Amazon isn't currently in production, but I mistakenly somehow downloaded the .463 version, and it works really beautifully but just learned that that version is older. I was able to upload quite a lot at my maximum mbps upload rate that my ISP allows (which is still atrocious max mbps upload is 6mbps! O.o).

I then realized i had the older version so donwloaded the newer version but can't use my amazon cloud drive account with it, because it requires the dev account. Since I already paid for the amazon drive cloud account, i didn't really want to do the developer account, because i'm not really sure what i am doing.

Should i just continue to use hte .463 version? I moved to the .631 and .721 versions, but no dice yet from what i've been reading on the amazon thread. If I use the .413 version, can i later upgrade to a later release and still connect to my old drive I had with the .463 version?

That got me thinking as well, what if my PC eventually dies, or i build a new one and have to re-image a new OS on a new HDD, and I have to install stablebit cloud drive fresh again, will I lose my drive, even if all the data is actually on the cloud? How do i reconnect to that data with a new installation? Also, let's say i have a cache drive setup with stablebit, but i wnat to change it to an SSD later or something, can I still do that or do i have to recreate the drive from scratch and start over and re upload everything again?

Sorry for all the questions I have been reading the forums, but just didn't understand quite how it worked.

TLDR

Once the data is encrypted and put up in the cloud, i should be able to still get to that data with stablebit if i uninstall and reinstall the software or have to change physical disks for cache?

Thank you kindly!

Mav :)

3 answers to this question

The 1.0.0.463 is the public beta version.  it's what most people woould be running.  

Everything else is an internal beta version, and may not hbe as stable. 

That said, the 1.0.0.631 build is the last one that didn't require a security profile (which I beleive cannot be created anymore, anyhow). 

If you do wish to use Amazon Cloud Drive, using this build would be the best one, IMO. But you may want to delete the eixsting drive and recreate it under the newer version. There are some changes to the data structure that may "work better" in the newer version. 

This isn't a requirement, but I would highly recommend it. 

That got me thinking as well, what if my PC eventually dies, or i build a new one and have to re-image a new OS on a new HDD, and I have to install stablebit cloud drive fresh again, will I lose my drive, even if all the data is actually on the cloud? How do i reconnect to that data with a new installation? Also, let's say i have a cache drive setup with stablebit, but i wnat to change it to an SSD later or something, can I still do that or do i have to recreate the drive from scratch and start over and re upload everything again?

Sorry for all the questions I have been reading the forums, but just didn't understand quite how it worked.

The drive shill shop up in the list, and you can mount it on the new system. 

If the system failed, and you didn't unmount it properly, there is a posiblity of corruption, as some content may not have been uploaded. 

That said, the drive will show up as available in the list, with a warning about mounting it.  Just mount it, and you're good to go. 

Except, if the drive is encrypted, after prompting for cache info, it will prompt to delete the drive or to unlock it.  you'll need your encryption key to unlock it.  One you've done that, it will mount the drive and you can go back to using it. 

You can test this out (sans  warnings) by detaching the disk in the "Disk Options" in the UI.

Thank you so much, i'm not sure why but before when i was using the .631 it was still taking me to the amazon developer website instead of the normal consumer amazon cloud drive login. Yet, just now when I tried it after reinstalling it took me to the correct one, maybe I'm going senile! :)

I got it working  correctly with the version you advised, I really appreciate it. I ended up purchasing it tonight :) !

As I'm uploading with a really slow up speed 5mbps which is the max here, would it be better for me to have it cache on a slower but bigger NAS drive (Like a Western Digital Red NAS 7200 drive vs a SSD), as when I start moving things to upload it keeps increasing the "local" data to very very large sizes.

Also, if in the future i wanted to change my cached drive from that WD Red 7200rpm to an SSD, would it be possible without recreating the entire drive and having to reupload files?

Thanks for all the help Drashna! I'm definitely raving about you guys at work trying to get a few buddies to check this out!

You likely had grabbed the 632 build or latter.  otherwise, I'm not really sure. 

As for moving the cache, yeah, you'd have to move it all off.  To change the cache drive, you need to detach the drive (clearing the cache completely), and then reattach it (and specify the new disk). 

There really isn't a good solution otherwise, because of how the cache works.  it can be resized without an issue, but a lot of the data is always in use, so there isn't a good way to move it to a new disk while it's in use.