What kind of speed should I expect from Scanner?

jhw

Question

7 answers to this question

I am running WHS 2011 and have 4 2Tb drives in a SansDigital TR4UT-B USB 3 enclosure.

Scanner is taking > 36 hours to scan a single disk.

Is this normative?  An indication of lots of disk damage?  what gives

The TR4UT-B is listed as being USB 2.0/esata, TR4UT+B is listed as USB 3.0/esata,  to answer your question, yeah, 36 hours is a long time for one 2TB drive on USB 3.0, for USB 2.0 that might be correct.    Are the drives over heating in the enclosure?  Scanner will throttle the performance back if your hitting the max temp setting, I'm not familiar with this enclosure, but if you have a manual fan control kick it up to full speed, when scanner is running.  Also, if your accessing those disks for other requirements, scanner will stop until there's little to no traffic on the controller and then restart

Can you verify that there is no other activity?

Does the "scan" section say that it's throttled? 

Also, you can check the performance by right click on the column header, and select "performance". That will list the activity speed of all the drives in Scanner.

Also, do you have a lot of smaller files on the drives?

Worst case here, try restarting the Scanner service, or reboot the system. 

At the moment I think the enclosure is set up/connected USB 2. 

Sorry - but I will be out of town and away from the system for at least a couple weeks:  I can remote in via my PD connected to the server, so will at least hope to get all the current drives "checked" over that period of time, then be in a position to restart server, check BIOS setting to be sure I really have USB3 enabled, and start again from there.

This all started (i.e.everybody was playing nice) until about 6 weeks ago when I had an old (>3-4 years) 1.5 TB drive go bad, overheat, and die.  I've replaced it and actually managed to migrate all the data from the remaining 3 drives in that enclosure, however have had recurring problems since. 

And yes, some of my data is photos (jpeg and a few mpg) but the bulk of data stored is videos (iso) files that are big and space-hungry.

Oh, if only HP still made a MediaSmart server which was soooo reliable - but it's motherboard dies (after 7-8 years) and so I built my own server.  Woe is me.

I'll reactivate this message chain when I can get back hands on.

In the mean-time thanks for all your suggestions and directions!

Scanner is taking > 36 hours to scan a single disk.

Is this normative?  An indication of lots of disk damage?  what gives

As the developer I should mention something important here. The disk scan speed is really not our top priority. While we have a very fast surface scanner (as is advertised in the Features tab), it is not always running at full speed.

Because we're running in a multitasking environment, our top priority is not to interfere with other applications using the disk.

You  can override this behavior under the Throttling tab in  Scanner Settings and have faster scan times at the expense of system slowdown, but I don't recommend it.

In short, the StableBit Scanner is tuned towards not interfering with any existing disk access more than getting the absolute fastest scan time possible.