Drive Removal Error: Encrypted files are not supported.

Jeka28

Question

I am attempting to remove several of my drives from the pool in order to move them to a new storage system. While attempting to remove three of the drives I receive the error: Drive Removal Error - Encrypted files are not supported.

I have no encrypted files on any of the drives as far as I know, the drives themselves are not encrypted, and there is plenty of room in the pool. I am not sure what is causing this error or how to get more specific information on which files are causing the problem.

Any help would be appreciated!

4 answers to this question

(Posted in Scanner, this appears to be a DrivePool issue, thread moved)

What OS are you using? (run "winver" to check)

What version of StableBit DrivePool? (check the UI, it lists at the bottom). 

And could you enable logging and reproduce?

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

Additionally, you can use the "Drive Usable Limiter" balancer to clear off the drive. Uncheck "duplicated" and "Unduplicated" for the drive in question. This will balance the data off of the drive, and will speed up the removal process once it's done. 

I am running Windows 10 Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.82) which is the most up to date version as of this post.

DrivePool is Version 2.1.1.561

I am currently balancing files off of the drives to be removed, when it is completed I will attempt to reproduce the problem and post logs.

After looking through the logs myself, I was able to find the problem files and it turns out... they were encrypted (*FacePalm*). How they got that way is still a mystery, but since I share this storage with other users on my home network it is not too surprising.

It would have been nice if DrivePool was able to give me some of the actual file names / paths in the error message, but after finding the logs files it wasn't too hard to find what I needed.

Thanks for the help!

Well, that would do it. :)

To be honest, IIRC, I don't believe that the pool supports encrypted files.  So, they shouldn't have been created on the pool drive.  However, if you "seeded" the pool, then that would have gotten them onto the pool. (and I suspect that this is the case).

As for the more verbose display, yup, it's something we need to do, and it's definitely on the 'to do list". And for any sort of issues like this (up to and including balancing and duplication issues), so that there is a clear list of the affected files.