Best procedures for moving to a new server (from whs to Win 10 or 2012)?

chrismilne

Question

I'm having a ton of issues with my whs 2011 setup (not sure if it's all drive based, OS based or Drivepool at this point), but i'm thinking of starting over with a newer OS.  

If i do that and install the drives will Stablebit recognize that they are all part of a pool and be able to "piece it back together"?  Or do i start over and add one drive at a time physically copying files to the folder?  

4 answers to this question

So i'll start by answering my own question.  The drives do all appear exactly as they did in WHS.  However, I can not for the life of me figure out how to share the drivepool so that it's accessible in windows 10.  I can see the folders but i get an error whenever i try to open one.  I have gone through every possible tutorial on sharing with windows 10 and nothing works.  It seems its only possible to share the folders individually inside of the drivepool, you can't share the whole thing as I did in WHS.

I'm having a ton of issues with my whs 2011 setup (not sure if it's all drive based, OS based or Drivepool at this point), but i'm thinking of starting over with a newer OS.  

If i do that and install the drives will Stablebit recognize that they are all part of a pool and be able to "piece it back together"?  Or do i start over and add one drive at a time physically copying files to the folder?  

Yup, the software will recognize the pooled disks and automatically recreate the pool on the new system.  Activate your license, and you're set, basically. 

So i'll start by answering my own question.  The drives do all appear exactly as they did in WHS.  However, I can not for the life of me figure out how to share the drivepool so that it's accessible in windows 10.  I can see the folders but i get an error whenever i try to open one.  I have gone through every possible tutorial on sharing with windows 10 and nothing works.  It seems its only possible to share the folders individually inside of the drivepool, you can't share the whole thing as I did in WHS.

For sharing the pool, what OS are you using? 

If it's WHS still, the grab the WSS Troubleshooter util: 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Utilities

Otherwise, run "fsmgmt.msc". 

From here, you can create new network shares.  RIght click on "shares" and select "New share".  

Run through the wizard, as it will walk you through the entire process. 

My recommendation is to give "Everyone" full control, and fall back to NTFS permissions.  (eg, create user accounts with matching usernames and passwords, or specify the "Guest" account). 

As for the error opening files, I am guessing that this is due to NTFS permissions from the WHS install.  You'll need to fix this before doing anything else really. 

To do so: http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q5510455

I've had no trouble sharing with WHS (though i've had some other issues in the past), but i've decided to rebuild the server with newer technology.  I installed windows 10 on a new server, installed drivepool and hooked up my disks, but i can't seem to share anything.  I have set both the drivepool "drive" itself as shared to everyone, turned off password sharing and set up everything i could based on troubleshooting sites (apparently windows 10 and sharing is not an easy task given the type of OS this is).  I can not access anything from my laptop thats on the network (i have yet to try the SMB shares on my streaming hardware hooked to my tv).  

I just keep getting this error:  "You do not have access to \\win10server\videos". Contact your network administrator to request access.

Note: if i create a share on my C drive with the same techniques above (not in the pool) i can see the share fine, it's only the drivepool folders that have issues.

I'll have to look into this.

I have no issues sharing folders using Windows File Shares, but I'm using a domain network. 

However, instead of turning off password sharing, try creating "local" user accounts (easiest via "lusrmgr.msc") with passwords. 

You can then use matching accounts on the other systems, or load up the "Credential Manager" on the client system and set up a "Windows Credential" that matches the username and password.