Force Drive Usage Limiter rules for existing data

Guest FjYskcwknon

Question

Guest FjYskcwknon

Hello,

I have a batch of older drives in my pool of which two recently started to fail. I bought all of these together and I want to reduce the work needed to recover my unduplicated files next time (couldn't evacuate the drive using DrivePool, it was too far gone, but managed to recover my data).

So I figured I would restrict the older drives to only contain duplicated data and I set this in the balancer "Drive Usage Limiter" plugin (unchecked "unduplicated"). How can I force DrivePool to move all data according to these new rules? Do I need to use "Ordered File Placement" instead?

4 answers to this question

The "Drive Usage Limiter" should do this. 

However, on the main balancing settings page, check the settings there. 

Is the balancing set to "immediately" or otherwise? 

Also, try setting the slider to "100%"  (this makes it move data MUCH MORE aggressively).

Additioanlly, the pool condition bar at the bottom should have a "rebalance" option next to it (to the right), if it needs to rebalance the data.

If none of these are the case, try restarting the service or rebooting the server. 

And let me know what OS you're using, and the specific version of StableBit DrivePool.

Guest FjYskcwknon

I've tried all that just now, but what actually triggered a rebalance was to set the slider at the plugin itself to 99%. I guess my pool is too full already to fulfill the rules I've set while keeping 10% of each disk free. Will report back if this didn't work.

Out of curiosity: With the amount of possible rule combinations in all these balancing plugins, finding an efficient sequence of file operations to go from one ruleset to another and detecting whether some configuration is possible or not must require some clever code. Has the developer ever talked about how this is done somewhere?

Guest FjYskcwknon

Well, this didn't work at all. I also tried Beta 682, but no luck. After reboots and manual balancing, the unduplicated data seemed to have increased on all but one of the disks in question, which was instead emptied as much as possible (Disks 9-14). Screenshots below:

removed

Based on the images that you've posted,  ..... I'm not really sure what to tell you. 

There isn't enough room to move the data around, even in a meaningful manner.  Regardless of what you do, it looks like you don't really have enough space to do what you want here .

That said, while this may be more micromanaging that really should be necessary:

Recheck all of the options for the Drive Usage Limiter.  

Uncheck the "Unduplicated" data on one of the drives you want it off of (9-14).  Uncheck the 'duplicated data" on one of the other drives (0-8, 15-22),   Let it sit and rebalance the data, so that only duplicated data is on the one drive.  

Once that has happened, repeat this until all of the data is moved 

Either way, I've added a ticket for this: 

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/27145

But really, to fix this would require an overhaul to the balancing engine, to make it much more complex.