Learned something new about Drivepool

Jasper

Question

It won't let you copy to a degraded pool. I honestly didn't know this and beat my head against the walk thinking it was a Windows security issue. I removed a drive from the wrong server and while it was out it was formatted in another. It was then put back in the original server. Drivepool of course showed a drive missing and it took awhile for this to come to my attention because I was trying to transfer some files via the network and never actually logged in. Once I realized what happened I added the drive back to the pool and it rebuilt without a problem. This was an x2 pool so nothing was lost. Lesson learned - Can't copy to a pool? Check it's status before assuming it's a Windows problem. ;)

5 answers to this question

what was the actual error?  i'm having major problems and i tried removing all of my drives in a dead tower and want to move a few of them in to the internal sata ports.  The first went ok but the second did not want to remove and the server crashed.  Now i can't copy anything to the pool folders, i keep getting errors like:

Unable to create the folder "foldernamehere" system error 65535

And when copying files i keep getting the error:   Can't read from the source file or disk   ( I can copy these same files to another hard drive, just not in to the pool)

what was the actual error?  i'm having major problems and i tried removing all of my drives in a dead tower and want to move a few of them in to the internal sata ports.  The first went ok but the second did not want to remove and the server crashed.  Now i can't copy anything to the pool folders, i keep getting errors like:

Unable to create the folder "foldernamehere" system error 65535

And when copying files i keep getting the error:   Can't read from the source file or disk   ( I can copy these same files to another hard drive, just not in to the pool)

A couple of things here ....

Unless the enclosures are doing something weird and masking/altering the disk info (such as with some SanDigital enclosures, or being part of a RAID array), there should be absolutely no issue with just moving the disk from the tower to internal.   As long as the NTFS partition is readable, StableBit DrivePool will pick up the disk and continue to use it as if nothing happened. 

As for the issues, are you using the dead/dying tower?  

If so, that may be causing issues with the underlying disks and showing up in the pool. 

Disconnect the tower and move the disks over. 

If that isn't the case, please open a ticket at: https://stablebit.com/Contactand let  us know exactly what is going on (including the towers that you're using).