A few questions regarding Drive Pool and Cloud Drive together

worldtravelgeek

Question

Hi !

I was wondering, if Drive Pool and Cloud Drive in conjunction would support the following scenario:

If I install both on a notebook with an attached home based 8 TB USB Drive and the USB drive is being duplicated to a Cloud Drive of the same size and I later detach the notebook from the USB drive and go traveling, would ....

- the drive Pool still offer me access to all the files of the USB drive via the Cloud Drive without constantly reporting errors that the USB drive is missing?

- will it save new files to the Drive Pool while I am on the road and later add the missing file to the USB drive automatically once I am back home and the USB drive is attached again?

- delete files from the USB drive once its attached again, if I deleted them from the cloud drive while on the road?

Anything else I would need to be careful about in such a scenario? Like possible drive/data corruption etc?

Also ... if the USB drive was a network drive in the above scenario, would that also work or does it only work with local drives?

Thanks for answering ;)
Alex

1 answer to this question

This depends on how you have everything setup. 

If you're using StableBit DrivePool, yes, it will report the missing disk. However, you can remove the missing disk from the pool and be fine.  When you reconnect the disk, it will automatically rejoin the pool though (as it doesn't know it's removed from the pool). 

will it save new files to the Drive Pool while I am on the road and later add the missing file to the USB drive automatically once I am back home and the USB drive is attached again?

yes.  It will run a consistency check once the disk is reattached.  It will then run a duplication pass and re-mirror the data as needed. 

delete files from the USB drive once its attached again, if I deleted them from the cloud drive while on the road?

No. The files will show back up and want to be reduplicated (if it was enabled).  

If you want this sort of functionality, a syncing software would be better to use than StableBit DrivePool to keep the two disks in sync. 

SyncBack, Good Sync, Allways Sync, Free File Sync, and the like are good options for that.