Seagate ST480FN021

tomm1ed

I replaced an aging Intel X25-M 160GB SSD by a secondhand Enterprise SSD, the Seagate ST480FN021

The Intel showed all kind of Smart data however the Seagate SSD doesn't:

full.png

It doesn't even recognize it as a Seagate drive as you can see.

Using CrystalDiskInfo I do see several Smart values:

full.png

When using DirectIO I find Smart is working indeed:

full.png

And the attributes are indeed readable:

Smart attributes for device:   2

Version:   0

Offline data collection status:   CompletedWithoutError

Self-test execution status:   PreviousCompletedNoErorrOrNoTestRun

Self-test percent remaining:   0

To complete off-line data collection:   00:00:06

Off-line data collection capability:   ExecuteOffLineImmediate, OffLineReadScanning, SelfTest

SMART capability:   SmartEnableDisableAndAttributeAutosaveSupported

Error logging capability:   True

Short self-test polling time:   00:01:00

Extended self-test polling time:   00:42:00

Conveyance self-test polling time:   00:00:00

Attributes:   16

1:   166 [0x000000000000]

5:   100 [0x000000000000]

9:   100 [0x000000000028]

12:   100 [0x00000000001F]

171:   100 [0x000000000000]

172:   100 [0x000000000000]

181:   100 [0x000000000000]

182:   100 [0x000000000000]

194:   45 [0x00000032002D]

201:   100 [0x000000000000]

204:   100 [0x000000000000]

231:   100 [0x000000000000]

234:   100 [0x000000000472]

241:   100 [0x000000000297]

242:   100 [0x00000000027C]

250:   100 [0x000000000000]

Checksum valid:   True

What can I do to get the relevant values into Stablebit Scanner and/or BitFlock?

Could you install this version? 

http://dl.covecube.com/ScannerWindows/beta/download/StableBit.Scanner_2.5.2.3121_BETA.exe

If that doesn't help, could you let us know what the hardware ID of the SSD is? (it should show in the properties in Device Manager). 

Installed the BETA but same result; no SMART data.

Device manager shows:

SCSI\Disk_____________ST480FN0021B550
SCSI\Disk_____________ST480FN0021
SCSI\Disk________
SCSI\_____________ST480FN0021B
_____________ST480FN0021B
GenDisk

Hope you can assist in this matter :)

PS This BETA has caused all values to reset (and therefor a rescan is started :( )

I aplogize for the settings reset.  Depending on what version of StableBit Scanner you were using, it may be normal. 

If you were using any customization (such as the disk name or location info) and that was lost, let me know.  

Otherwise, there was a change at some point to how we identified the disks, that could cause this. 

As for the SMART data, could you do this: 

Click on the "Settings" button in the toolbar and select "Scanner Settings". Enable the "Show advanced settings and information" option, and hit "OK". You will only need to do this once, from now on, it will always display this option.
Click on "Settings", and select the new "Advanced Settings and information" option. Open the Configuration Properties tab. You will find a list of all the settings here, organized into section. Find the "Direct IO" section, and check the "Unsafe" option. 
Reboot the system, or restart the "StableBit Scanner Service" (run "services.msc" to do so). 

If that doesn't work, let me know what controller this disk is attached to (if you're not sure, open up Scanner, right click on the column header and select "By Controller", and this will list the controllers in use and group the disks by controller)

I aplogize for the settings reset.  Depending on what version of StableBit Scanner you were using, it may be normal. 

If you were using any customization (such as the disk name or location info) and that was lost, let me know.  

Otherwise, there was a change at some point to how we identified the disks, that could cause this. 

I upgraded from the latest stable version (2.5.1.3062)

As for the SMART data, could you do this: 
Click on the "Settings" button in the toolbar and select "Scanner Settings". Enable the "Show advanced settings and information" option, and hit "OK". You will only need to do this once, from now on, it will always display this option.
Click on "Settings", and select the new "Advanced Settings and information" option. Open the Configuration Properties tab. You will find a list of all the settings here, organized into section. Find the "Direct IO" section, and check the "Unsafe" option. 
Reboot the system, or restart the "StableBit Scanner Service" (run "services.msc" to do so). 

If that doesn't work, let me know what controller this disk is attached to (if you're not sure, open up Scanner, right click on the column header and select "By Controller", and this will list the controllers in use and group the disks by controller)

Did all this and no change what so ever, still no SMART data visible.

The controller is part of the Intel Z97 chipset, Stablebit Scanner calls it

Intel ® 9 Series Family SATA AHCI Controller - 8C82

Like noted before on this same SATA port an Intel X25-M G2 SSD was working correctly with Stablebit Scanner. Also all disks (6 in total) are connected to this controller and all but the Seagate work. Not even a Temperature graph is shown (even though Stablebit Scanner shows the temperature in the main view)

Hope you have some more options!

Not really.  

If you're not getting SMART data, and you've tried the newest beta version, as well as the Unsafe DirectIO option....

Try enabling the "IgnoreSignature" option in the advanced config. 

If that doesn't help, then this is an issue with the way that StableBit Scanner is handling SMART data. 

I've created an issue here:

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/27133

Not really.  

If you're not getting SMART data, and you've tried the newest beta version, as well as the Unsafe DirectIO option....

Try enabling the "IgnoreSignature" option in the advanced config. 

If that doesn't help, then this is an issue with the way that StableBit Scanner is handling SMART data. 

I've created an issue here:

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/27133

Unfortunately this also shows no info whatsoever. If there is anything I can do to troubleshoot this issue let me know.

Honestly, I'm not sure. 

Aside from "uninstall the intel drivers", and see if that helps.... 

Unfortunately, something is definitely going on that is causing the issue here.  I'm not exactly sure what, as Alex (the Developer) is definitely the expert here.   

He is aware of the issue, but doesn't have to time to get to it right now.   Hopefully, we will get to it soon, though.