Is it possible to migrate from PoolHD to DrivePool in W10?

Woody

Question

Team,

I am current running (or was ...) PoolHD with one Drive Pool containing two physical disks. That Drive Pool contained two top level directories: "Duplicated" and "Non Duplicated" i.e. PoolHD balanced the non duplicated files across both disks and the duplicated files, duplicated across both disks.

I have now upgraded to W10 and PoolHD no longer works - I expected this, as it is not supported in W10 - and I had always intended to migrate to DrivePool because Windows Storage Spaces requires the drives (that are to be added to a Storage Space) to be cleanly formatted, and of course, I can't do that, because the drives contain data.

Now, just like DrivePool, PoolHD stores the files in standard NTFS directories - and even gives advice on how to migrate from DrivePool to PoolHD by changing directory names to match the DrivePool naming conventions.

Before purchasing DrivePool, I have downloaded a trial and have created a new Pool, but DrivePool will only add physical disks to the DrivePool pool, that have not previously been in a PoolHD pool. i.e. DrivePool doesn't see the two physical disks that were part of a PoolHD pool, even though both the drives effectively only contain a standard NTFS file structure and PoolHD is uninstalled.

Remembering that I effectively have two physical drives that contain two top level directories - one which balances the contents of that directory across both drives and the other (the duplicated directory) that has identical content on both drives, how can I add them to a DrivePool pool?

[Note: I guess that the secret is in the naming of some directories in the root of each drive, that indicates to DrivePool that it should steer well clear, but these are only directory names, so quite happy to edit them as necessary.]

Thanks in advance,

Woody.

2 answers to this question

Is it possible to convert, yes, technically. 

However, I'm not sure of the format that PoolHD is using, or how closely it resembles Drive Bender's format. 

We do have a Drive bender conversion thread, and that may be helpful:

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/511-migrate-from-drive-bender-to-drive-pool/

Okay, checked, it's basically the same. 

Instead of "FOLDER.DUPLICATE.$DRIVEBENDER", it's "FD.$POOLHD$". 

Edit the script in the linked thread, and it should work properly on the pool HD stuff. 

As for StableBit DrivePool, it should see the drives regardless.  There should be nothing that happens to change that.  Try rebooting the system, as that may "fix" the issue.