Pool Drive Letter Properties

Mick Mickle

Question

Is the DrivePool pooled drive letter, in effect, a mapped network drive?  The reason I ask is that I've been having trouble lately with My Movies, where drive X:\serverfolders\videos (X: being my pooled drive) shows up in My Movies logs rather than the UNC path of \\servername\videos.  My Movies Support thinks that it might be because of the DrivePool setup http://www.mymovies.dk/forum.aspx?g=posts&m=204363#204363.  Of course, I've been using DrivePool and My Movies for years; however, maybe some database glitch has brought a problem to the surface that involves this issue.

7 answers to this question

Hey Mick,

Did you have MM before Drivepool and use a drive map backin the day? MM are correct, drive maps are not supported anymore however, they are wrong in that MM does not always tell you about historically added media. For example, only tonight I found out that my Sons Of Anarchy failed to start. Quick look in collection management and it was mapped to my old X drive. Deleted the show and readied via UNC and all working fine. Does that help?

Other than that, MM works perfectly via Drivepool and UNC maps.

Yeah, I was using My Movies back with WHS v1.  I've also changed server names twice, which turned out to be a problem eventually getting all the path names for MM media files moved because TV shows only move all the episodes within a series, unlike movies which MM will offer to move all en masse.  In fact, since Brian Binnerup said in my MM forum thread that version 5.22 Collection Management will filter by path, I just tested an old server name and found one hit for a TV episode with the wrong old path.  I imagine that has been causing MM some issue.

Other than the one old path name that I just corrected, all of my MM titles are using the right UNC \\servername\videos path.  But the DrivePool drive X:\ still shows up in the MM log for some reason.  Also, MM monitor settings are only using UNC, not the local server DrivePool letter.

Just to be clear, MM has been working great, allowing WMC on the HTPC client to always play movies and TV shows. But the logs apparently show that the MM general service must be using a lot of overhead looking for files.  My original MM support issue was that the general service is eating memory, and MM support thought that's probably caused by an error or corruption in the database.  Now, they're thinking it might be because of DrivePool.

No, the DrivePool is not a mapped drive, at all.

It *is* a virtual disk, but it does show up as a "physical" disk.  Meaning that it does show up in the Device Manager as a physical disk, as well as in Disk Management (mapped drives do not). 

If you're using the stable version (2.1.1.561), the pool may show up as a removable drive.  That *could* be the issue, though I doubt it.  Updating to the public beta build (2.2.0.651) should fix this though. 

Aside from that, I'm not sure.  I'd have to ask Alex about specifics here. 

However, if MyMovies is pulling info from the Server Solutions API, it may be referencing the underlying disk, rather than the shared path. 

And to be honest, a memory dump of the MyMovies process may actually be more telling, about what is going on (and going wrong), but Brian may not know how to read these. 

If you want, grab logs from when this is happening, and a memory dump of the process, and we'll (alex will) look at them when he gets a chance. 

Christopher, thanks for your extensive reply. Maybe showing up as a removable drive is why My Movies logs continue to reference the DrivePool drive letter as well as the UNC. I'll update to the DrivePool beta you referenced and see if that changes things.

My initial problem with My Movies General Service runaway memory stopped with a corrected erroneous path on one TV series title. That General Service continuing to parse the DrivePool letter rather than just the UNC path could be an efficiency/overhead (or other) issue, though. If the beta doesn't fix it, I'll upload a dump of the My Movies process. I must say, you guys would be going above and beyond to take a look at that. My hat's off to you for offering.

I hope you're feeling better after your recent illness!

You're very welcome. 

And I can't really speak for why MyMovies is handling things the way it is, or how exactly it's handling things. 

Though, I don't think how it's handling things should affect it. But it's hard to tell. 

As for the memory dump, we can take a look at it. But sending it to Brian Binnerup (the MyMovies dev) may be more helpful to him, if he knows how to read them. 

Well, at first, I thought Beta 2.2.0.651 solved the MyMovies accessing and logging the DrivePool drive letter.  It looked like only the UNC path was being referenced and logged by MyMovies.  However, after I restarted the MyMovies General Service and the program began monitoring folders, their log did specify the DrivePool letter after all, replacing it with the UNC.  So I guess it wasn't the "removable drive" aspect that you mentioned.

However, my performance has dropped unacceptably:  I'm watching TeraCopy transfer a 1.5GB file to the pool at about 500KBs right now.  With the 561 release version, transfer speed was blazing enough that I didn't even look twice.  Perhaps something else is in play here, but if rebooting my client computer doesn't help, I'll probably go back to the release version.

Edit: Tried again later and got 30-35 MBps, so speed isn't the problem I thought it was.