2 drivepools ?

Triplefun

Question

I have converted 15 x 2TB disk WHSv1 to Drivepool under Windows 2012 Server R2

All the files were duplciated

Initially all worked fine until one day 4 disks all showed up as  damaged

Also some of the disks were not being recognized by the OS at startup

So I physically removed the affected disks and have recovered most of the data on another computer using 4tB drives

In many cases I can find nothing wrong with the disks which makes me think it is something else causing the problem

I believe it is most likely the PSU - I was only using 450w which was probably having trouble in the initial spin up

I have since ordered a replacement 650W PSU

To prove my point I thought I would add one of the damaged disks back to the pool to see if still showed as 'damaged'

Since I was planning to rebuild the pool I created a new directory on the disk and moved the files there
I then deleted the drivepool directories - I know, I should have logically removed the disk from the original pool

When I reloaded this disk to the drivepool machine drivepool created a second drivepool with a single disk

I then tried removing the disk from the drivepool which did not seem to work - no errors!

How can I

1. delete the second drivepool without losing data?

2. better still, recreate my drivepool from scratch?

Also, please confirm a disk is marked as 'damaged' by stablebit scanner if there is one or more bad sectors which may or may not affect a file. Note when I inspected the 'damaged' disk on my second computer SMART showed no errors.

And can I add a disk with data to Drivepool as per the WHS v1 stablebit initial disk load -

1. add the disk to create a logical stablebit Serverfolders directory.

2. stop the drivepool service

3. move the data files into the Serverfolder

4. restart the service

3 answers to this question

Well, for reference, check the +12V rails on your power supply.  You want roughly 2A per hard drive, as the initial power up may pull this much per disk.   Plus leeway for other components.  

Chances are that the 650W PSU will have plenty.  But this is definitely something to consider when buying power supplies (and part of why I only go "overkill" with them). 

As for the pool, we do actually have a ... rather complicated guide on how to merge pools. 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_F1655

Since this is a rather advanced/complicated guide, if you're not 100% confident in doing this, please contact us at https://stablebit.com/Contact  so we can see about setting up a remote support session to assist you with this. 

Thanks for the update

I copied the files to a spare disk, reformatted the disk, and then copied the files back to the pool

All is now OK and the larger PSU (15 disks, 650w vs 450w) is making a big difference - less disk startup retries !!!

But be careful, the pin settings of the cables supplied with modular power supplies vary by manufacturer

And you should not just plug the old cables into the new psu

Thanks for the update

I copied the files to a spare disk, reformatted the disk, and then copied the files back to the pool

All is now OK and the larger PSU (15 disks, 650w vs 450w) is making a big difference - less disk startup retries !!!

Glad to hear it! Especially that the larger wattage power supply seems to be doing MUCH better.  :)

But be careful, the pin settings of the cables supplied with modular power supplies vary by manufacturer

And you should not just plug the old cables into the new psu

Oh god.  Yeah, I have a friend that did that (used a cable from a different power supply). 

The drive caught on fire.  

That friend has a track record of breaking stuff though.