BitLocker

DCCXVIII

Question

I noticed that trying to encrypt the drives individually it reports an error most likely due to the act would mess up the Pool. However I also noticed that the option is missing from the context menu when clicking on the Pool itself. So I was wondering when/if DrivePool will be compatible with BitLocker? Or should I just opt for a 3rd party solution?

2 answers to this question

I've been running BitLocker with DrivePool 2.1 for a couple years on Windows 8.1 - haven't seen this issue. I also encrypt the individual drives as opposed to the pool. Never had problems or even warnings.

I actually just reinstalled the OS along with the 2.2 beta, and am re-encrypting everything right now. I am getting an Access Denied issue when I try to change DrivePool options, but I believe it's because I'm not done encrypting one of the drives yet.

Are you on Windows 10? Maybe it's different on that.

I noticed that trying to encrypt the drives individually it reports an error most likely due to the act would mess up the Pool. However I also noticed that the option is missing from the context menu when clicking on the Pool itself. So I was wondering when/if DrivePool will be compatible with BitLocker? Or should I just opt for a 3rd party solution?

What OS are you using?

What version of StableBit DrivePool are you using? 

The reason I ask, is that encrypting the pool is fine.  But this MUST be done to the individual disks in the pool. 

Additionally, you'd need to do this: 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Advanced_Settings

Set "BitLocker_PoolPartUnlockDetect" to "True", and reboot the system. 

Or install the Public beta build (2.2.0.651) or the internal beta (what I'd recommend):

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/StableBit.DrivePool_2.2.0.677_x64_BETA.exe

(the newer version has this option enabled by default. 

Once you've done that, encrypt the pooled drives, and you should be good to go. 

Just remember that you won't be able to access the pool until you unlock the drives.  Or you can encrypt the system disk and enable automatic unlocking of the drives.